Huge Ponderosa Pine on new home property in need of help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your input. I had an arborist out to the property to examine the tree/s. In addition to the 4 pines are two apple, and 8 maples of various types. We spent about an hour examining the trees, and he explained what the various leaf/needle conditions, holes and disturbances in the bark, root structures and other indications meant. Approx. half the trees are in good shape and just need some thinning and shaping. The others have parasites and/or beetle issues.
After his examination, including digging into the sap blobs on the bark, he felt confident that with treatment he would be able to save most if not all of them. In protective gear, he mixed and applied a systemic liquid in a ring around the tree, then soaked it into the ground. Afterwards, using a portable pressure washer with a soft spray nozzle, misted each tree. He stated this was his way of 'tricking' the tree into encouraging the root structure to take in more water and the medicine.

He seemed quite knowledgeable and confident he could save them. Hoping he is correct!

Thanks again,
John
That's like spraying carb cleaner in yer car and saying its fixed, not likley.

That's like spraying carb cleaner in yer car and saying its fixed, not likely.
Yep, the golden rule for pines up by me is as soon as they look sick, weather permitting, they get dropped and burned. We've had to drop and burn 400+ pines due to beetles, there's half a dozen or so that still need to be dropped, and more are dying by the month.

Unfortunately by the time you see pitch runs like that they are already under the bark and no way to reach them, and once their galleries have girdled the tree it is game over, no matter what you do... I hope I am wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence a soil or topical treatment has any effect.

My schedule was pretty Mucked Up this week, but I did go through the Fremont-Winema National Forest yesterday, and I got some good pics of the Ponderosas there

CDE32F45-4336-4E4E-8C1A-596FB0CDE8CE.jpegAC49CABD-AA4E-41FF-9F41-177F926EED61.jpegA3CC7009-F207-4A48-894F-D21E22CE7CEA.jpeg

Here are some pics of the “Patchwork Quilt “ look of the Bark
3BA0F9AC-72A3-4161-80B1-F4DE9144A84F.jpegF10FB711-575B-485B-A500-3BF8B26832DE.jpeg269FFD0F-860E-4E7D-803B-6C5EEA13C61C.jpeg

I wish you Luck, in saving your trees, I too am curious if the arborist that examined your trees, identified the tree in question, as to what species it actually is

Doug

My schedule was pretty Mucked Up this week, but I did go through the Fremont-Winema National Forest yesterday, and I got some good pics of the Ponderosas there

View attachment 916460View attachment 916461View attachment 916462

Here are some pics of the “Patchwork Quilt “ look of the Bark
View attachment 916463View attachment 916464View attachment 916465

I wish you Luck, in saving your trees, I too am curious if the arborist that examined your trees, identified the tree in question, as to what species it actually is

Doug
For **** sake, it's a ******* Austrian Pine, am I the only one on this site that has ever seen one? I have planted hundreds of them! They are the most popular nursery pine in the western US because they transplant so well, versus Ponderosas, that are so sensitive. Look at the branch pattern, it is so classic of an austrian... especially in a juvenile... they send out radial new growth every year. You never see that from a Pondo. Scotch pines have a somewhat similar growth pattern but their needles are totally different.

Back