Huge Ponderosa Pine on new home property in need of help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luithien1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
My wife and I just bought a new (to us) home with many well established trees. Yeah us!
Sadly one of the most amazing is in need of help. Approximately 60' tall and 28" at the trunk Ponderosa Pine. The branches on the lower half are mostly devoid of needles, while the upper half has needles, but they are sparse.
The bark appears healthy, and I would really like to save it. Most of the tree companies I find here, (Treasure Valley, Idaho) only seem to want to discuss removing it, without even checking it out.
Any suggestions of another type would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
John

Attachments

• PineScreenshot 2021-06-29 100719.png
    PineScreenshot 2021-06-29 100719.png
    345.1 KB · Views: 59
Suggestions of an other type of what?
Decline in trees can be caused by a plethora of issues. The only thing we can glean from your picture is that you have a tree. Check with the ISA to see if there is a arborist in your area.

Hello all,
My wife and I just bought a new (to us) home with many well established trees. Yeah us!
Sadly one of the most amazing is in need of help. Approximately 60' tall and 28" at the trunk Ponderosa Pine. The branches on the lower half are mostly devoid of needles, while the upper half has needles, but they are sparse.
The bark appears healthy, and I would really like to save it. Most of the tree companies I find here, (Treasure Valley, Idaho) only seem to want to discuss removing it, without even checking it out.
Any suggestions of another type would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
John
More pics would be helpful.

More pics would be helpful.
Thank you for your response. I used the one from the house listing, but plan to be back at the property tomorrow. I will take some close ups on a real camera and post them. Anything specific you think I might look for?
While I am knowledgeable in many areas, when it comes to trees, I just know I like them.
John

Maybe it’s just the picture, but that looks different than the Ponderosa that I am use to seeing in S/SE Oregon, and N/NE Californicated

The bark usually looks like large patchwork quilt, the branches don’t look right either.

Whatever it is, I wish you Luck in saving your tree

Doug

Just guessing here.
Pine trees are not very drought resistant. How much rain fall have you been getting? My pines tend to drop a lot of needles and look dry if it's been wet for awhile then gets dry for a spell. Pines have a very long deep tap root. If it's been dry try shooting it with some water and see if it responds in a few weeks.
On another note, when a pine goes south, they go south in a hurry. Not much time to save them once they go down hill.

Just guessing here.
Pine trees are not very drought resistant. How much rain fall have you been getting? My pines tend to drop a lot of needles and look dry if it's been wet for awhile then gets dry for a spell. Pines have a very long deep tap root. If it's been dry try shooting it with some water and see if it responds in a few weeks.
On another note, when a pine goes south, they go south in a hurry. Not much time to save them once they go down hill.
Look at the pic, it is in an irrigated area.

Maybe it’s just the picture, but that looks different than the Ponderosa that I am use to seeing in S/SE Oregon, and N/NE Californicated

The bark usually looks like large patchwork quilt, the branches don’t look right either.

Whatever it is, I wish you Luck in saving your tree

Doug
I agree it does not to me either. Thanks

FE214362-B444-47A9-90AF-46EDD1F0B041.jpeg
This is what the Ponderosa I am used to seeing looks like. If you blow up the picture, you can get a better idea of what the bark looks like

My schedule has gotten All Mucked Up this week, but if I get the run that I am expecting, I can get some good pics of some Beautiful Ponderosas and some good pic of the bark, that will show the Patchwork Quilt look

Doug

Nothing in that picture indicates it is an irrigated aria.
John’s location shows as Meridian, ID, just West of Boise, I delivered to Nampa, ID just West of Meridian, every week, for many years, Trust me, for that lawn to be that Lush and Green, it is Very Likely getting more water, than natural rainfall

Doug

You are correct folks... the lot is on an auto-sprinkler system. The new house is actually in Kuna, Idaho...about 8 miles south of my current home in Meridian, and typically even drier.
We are rated high plains desert, and, unless right next to a river/stream, quite dry. I will be taking some close ups of the tree during the purchase inspection today, and will post them.
Sorry for the quality of the first picture, but it was the listing agents, and all I had. :)

Nobody
View attachment 915745
This is what the Ponderosa I am used to seeing looks like. If you blow up the picture, you can get a better idea of what the bark looks like

My schedule has gotten All Mucked Up this week, but if I get the run that I am expecting, I can get some good pics of some Beautiful Ponderosas and some good pic of the bark, that will show the Patchwork Quilt look

Doug
Yup that is what they look like here too. We have the Bark Beetle attacking them every day. Thanks

My yard is greener then that and I never water it or fertilize it ether. In fact my grass grows so fast I have to mow it every 3 days.
And you live in Texas, not Idaho, and probably have St. Augustine, not Bluegrass... big difference... just as Loblolly pines are way different than Ponderosas and Austrians...

My yard is greener then that and I never water it or fertilize it ether. In fact my grass grows so fast I have to mow it every 3 days.
Hi SB, No disrespect intended, I have only been to Texas once, and I don’t know what your area is like. Oregon is known as being a SOGGY State, much of the Western part IS, but the High Desert of Central Oregon, if a Lawn isn’t watered, it won’t be Lush and Green much of the year. Texas is much larger than Oregon, and I have no doubt that Texas, has many Climatic regions as well.

I do know the are in which John lives well, and to have a lawn look like that there, it does take water.

Stay, Cool,Safe and Healthy
Doug

Back