Huskee 35 ton failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... Glad you're alright. Thats a little concerning... metal looks very porous

Thanks. I always suspected the decision to make that end plate out of cast was a poor one. I don't know how common this is but one is too many in my book.
She's gonna get a thick chunk of steel plate on the end now.

I have that same splitter and will be following your repair in the event i have an issue. Have had mine since 2008 and no problems yet. Likely just jinxed myself.
Is yours bent at all?

Depending on how you use it you may consider doing some preemptive gussetting. Even some heavy angle or channel on the back end. Probably have to tie it into the main beam to get a good weld.
If you use it vertically that may not be an option.

Is yours bent at all?

Depending on how you use it you may consider doing some preemptive gussetting. Even some heavy angle or channel on the back end. Probably have to tie it into the main beam to get a good weld.
If you use it vertically that may not be an option.
We use it primarily in the vertical position but have wondered on those occasions when working horizontal how much additional force may be exerted on the foot. No bending or deflection that I can detect by eyeballing it.

How have you used yours most, Horizontal or Vertical?

Cast iron by the grain of metal at the break. Not made for such stress
Its cast steel, there is a huge difference, you can weld cast steel, note where its attached to the frame, though it still has isues if its a poor casting
Why would you take most of the metal from the cast part. I would think they would do the opposite?
every pound of iron costs money, also why they choose to cast the part rather then cut it out of heavy plate, everything to save a buck and not pass it on to the final owner. Marketing will tell you its for weight savings, as if 2#s is going to matter when the damned thing is trailer mounted.

If ya all look closely the wedge is bending upwards as well, I'm a little dissappointed in Husky, these are the more important parts that need to be solid.

We use it primarily in the vertical position but have wondered on those occasions when working horizontal how much additional force may be exerted on the foot. No bending or deflection that I can detect by eyeballing it.

How have you used yours most, Horizontal or Vertical?

I use it horizontally, although I don't think it would matter much. Being vertical isn't going to reduce the pressure as the foot still has to hold the log. If you've ever had a large log slide off you'll notice the ram just wants to pick up the whole rig....

To be fair, this machine has seen some hard use, and has been bent for severalyears. I built a big table to load rounds onto to with the tractor and roll them off onto the splitter. Most of what I split is big and all of it is hardwood. I hate bending down and wrestling 150 pounders for hours on end. At waist level they are manageable without cramping the back.

Still shouldn't have happened, the choice to use cast there was purely a cost decision.

I'll follow up with repairs as I get to it which will be sooner than later. I got a lot of splitting to do.

Gave out without warning. I thought someone shot a gun off over my shoulder at first....

View attachment 1045590View attachment 1045591
Looks to have been cracked for a while. Appears to have rust in the crack areas. 3" cold roll would be what I would use on it. Also, the ram plate that the wedge is welded to is bowed up. I would replace that also. jmho OT :cool:

I have a County Line splitter that is the same Speeco design as this Huskee. These style splitters switched to a plate foot a few years back, presumably due to the failure we have here. Just waiting for mine to go BOOM...:innocent:

Getting geared up for this. I loaned out my electric welder to a family member for a frame job. My Ranger 8 popped a diode a few months back - time to get it back together. These diodes aren't cheap....nearly $200 each x 4. I held off for a month or so and was able to find 2 NOS OEM diodes, one + and one - flow, for $100 on eBay. As this machine ages I'm now looking for deals on parts to stock up on.
20230105_171823.jpg20230105_171838.jpg

Got the machine up and running and ran a few beads. Also got the splitter tore down and started cutting on it until I ran out of acetylene. Always something! 😂
20230105_171729.jpg20230105_171750.jpg

Maybe time to do this. I use this one to split onto a conveyor.

I've actually contemplated this, mostly due to the larger nature of rounds I split. The short wedge doesn't go thru them very well....
How high is your wedge? Looks like you started it at the back of where the end plate used to be?
Have you ever had an issue with those bolts shearing on the ram end?
Thanks for your input.

I have changed over four of the Huskee splitters that the feet broke off to push threw wedge type. I have just always used the Northern equipment part number 3061 wedge. Its twelve inch's high. Probably been ten years ago I did the first one. Just did one last winter.

Back