Huskee 35 ton failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have changed over four of the Huskee splitters that the feet broke off to push threw wedge type. I have just always used the Northern equipment part number 3061 wedge. Its twelve inch's high. Probably been ten years ago I did the first one. Just did one last winter.

Do the rounds ever get stuck on the wedge if they don't split? Just retract the ram and put a shorty log in between to finish pushing it thru?

We use it primarily in the vertical position but have wondered on those occasions when working horizontal how much additional force may be exerted on the foot. No bending or deflection that I can detect by eyeballing it.

How have you used yours most, Horizontal or Vertical?
Vertical or horizontal is only going to change the stress by a couple of hundred pounds.

Do the rounds ever get stuck on the wedge if they don't split? Just retract the ram and put a shorty log in between to finish pushing it thru?
My home built splitter is a push threw the wedge also and once in a while you will get one stuck. I normally just hit it with a block of wood or push a shorty piece behind it and push it threw. I my self wouldn't have a none push threw splitter. I had a home built one that was that way and sold it years ago. We are normally splitting on to a conveyor into a trailer.

You bust that splitting a big knot?
No, but it was a large piece. The foot has been bent for some time now.
To be fair, I've probably exceeded this rigs intended use for some time now.
I know a guy that owns a tree service buisiness and get all the wood from him I can handle. The only negative, it's usually the big stuff that he dont want. So 90%+ of what I split is big, and it's all hard wood.

Typical loads I pick up from him

20221113_095531.jpg
20220313_132546.jpg

No, but it was a large piece. The foot has been bent for some time now.
To be fair, I've probably exceeded this rigs intended use for some time now.
I know a guy that owns a tree service buisiness and get all the wood from him I can handle. The only negative, it's usually the big stuff that he dont want. So 90%+ of what I split is big, and it's all hard wood.

Typical loads I pick up from him

View attachment 1046778
View attachment 1046779
I broke the 4 way on my Skid steer splitter attachment with a big knotted Oak log.

My home built splitter is a push threw the wedge also and once in a while you will get one stuck. I normally just hit it with a block of wood or push a shorty piece behind it and push it threw. I my self wouldn't have a none push threw splitter. I had a home built one that was that way and sold it years ago. We are normally splitting on to a conveyor into a trailer.

So your wedge is 12" tall. Could you estimate how big a round it consistently splits in one shot?

Sorry for the questions, I'm really thinking of going this route. I've never run a push thru style.

Nah, just heat. BUT if I ever made an investment like that I could make a killing on campfire wood. My property almost butts up to Pymatuning State Park. I think there are 8 campgrounds within a 20 mile radius of me. One big one is just down the road.
Plus I get a lot of use out of my tractor. A skid steer sure wouldn't sit for long.

Nah, just heat. BUT if I ever made an investment like that I could make a killing on campfire wood. My property almost butts up to Pymatuning State Park. I think there are 8 campgrounds within a 20 mile radius of me. One big one is just down the road.
Plus I get a lot of use out of my tractor. A skid steer sure wouldn't sit for long.
They are big money.

That wedge is 24" tall. Keep in mind that I usually only split ash with it. When I split maple I'm careful to split with the natural cracks and take edges off the crotch pieces. I have enough stuff to fix without purposely making more. This is my 36" stroke splitter. The wedge is around 24" above the wings. I drop the wings to 2 way split nasty stuff.

Attachments

• 401759-9aa301ac085dfda814abba75ae103367.jpg
    401759-9aa301ac085dfda814abba75ae103367.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Sorry the Speeco wedge is 15" tall not 24". I rough cut the foot off with a torch and then added to the beam so I still had the split length I wanted. I added more table rails after these pictures so that big splits would sit there so I could put them back for resplit. Couple pictures as I did it. Those soft maple rounds in the above pic were 26 to 42" diameter. I loaded them with my tractor loader. They were so heavy that I actually split the oil tank where the axle mounts to it.

Attachments

• 20210611_155656.jpg
    20210611_155656.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210611_155719.jpg
    20210611_155719.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210611_155709.jpg
    20210611_155709.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Splitter is back in action. I've split at least 5 cords with it and so far I like it. A few pics.

I cut the rest of the foot off and plated the end of the beam with 1/2" plate.
20230108_110233.jpg 20230108_110245.jpg

20230112_055223.jpg

For the wedge I had a large chunk of scrap from years ago. Finally found a use for it. I took it into work to whittle it down on the band saw. Had to get a little creative and make a jig to clamp in the vise to get the correct angle.

20230110_055931.jpg

20230110_055916.jpg

20230119_175235.jpgimage.jpg

20230127_084838.jpg

More to come....will add more pictures later.

Back