Huskee 35 ton Log splitter problems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JarneyD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone. I have a new to me used (I am guessing 10+ years old) Huskee 35 ton with the 12.5 B & S engine. I changed as much hydraulic fluid as I could (5 Gallons) without draining the piston and I put on a new filter (30 Micron) and this thing is still slower than s...t. It has a 27 second cycle time. The pump seems to be pumping good, the engine runs great and it will blast through anything I have gotten onto it. The pump does not whine or squeal even under load. There seems to be plenty of volume of fluid going back into the tank. Its just slow. Any easy way to troubleshoot and try to figure out if its the Pump? The previous owner just replaced the dogs between the pump and motor, could that be screwed up?
2nd issue is there is a lot of play in the wedge. I can lift the wedge almost a 1/2" off the flat steel when its 1/2 way extended. I can also kind of turn it sideways a little bit. It really does not appear to have excessive wear on it but smaller pieces that sit down on the flat steel kind of get hung up and will lift the wedge up and then make a big loud pop as the wedge snaps down into place and the log gets to a spot where it can begin to split. Where they made with that much play in them? Could I weld a couple of pieces of 1/4" flatstock to the top of the wedge under the guide rails? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Sounds like the pump is always running off the small gear set. Depending on which gear set is closer to the engine, the Coupler in between the two gearsets might be shared off inside the pump

There maybe something wrong with your pump. Does it shift from high speed to low when it splits?
No, the pump doesn't appear to ever change speeds. Neither does the engine, it always runs at the same speed, never seems to have a load on it. Now that I really think about it, The piston will hesitate just for a second as it goes into the round but then it seems to continue at the same slow speed. Is there an easy way to check the pump?

Sounds like the pump is always running off the small gear set. Depending on which gear set is closer to the engine, the Coupler in between the two gearsets might be shared off inside the pump
Does that mean the pump needs to be replaced? Is it something I could take apart and replace? Thanks

You probably can’t get parts, and would have to replace the whole pump. However I wouldn’t buy a new pump without confirming that’s the problem. Just take the body bolts apart being careful not to damage the O-rings and see what you find. Search on the Internet by your particular pump name and part number and you’ll see diagrams of where the gear sections go and how it’s a coupled from section to section usually with a little splined coupling.
Read up on how a two stage pump works, then look at the unloading valve and the check valve there might be some garbage in one of those Always unloading the large gear

You probably can’t get parts, and would have to replace the whole pump. However I wouldn’t buy a new pump without confirming that’s the problem. Just take the body bolts apart being careful not to damage the O-rings and see what you find. Search on the Internet by your particular pump name and part number and you’ll see diagrams of where the gear sections go and how it’s a coupled from section to section usually with a little splined coupling.
Read up on how a two stage pump works, then look at the unloading valve and the check valve there might be some garbage in one of those Always unloading the large gear
Thanks KevinJ, I really appreciate the help.

This^^^^. If it is a normal 2 stage pump, it will have a spool under a cap and a adjuster on the other side that is spring loaded. As Kevin said get a breakdown of it but if it were me I would pull the cap and see what is stopping that unloaded spool from moving. I have fixed 1 maybe 2 like this out of 50+. They are cheap, around 150 bucks and usually tore up inside. With a new pump, clean the res and put new oil and filter on, please. Cj

This^^^^. If it is a normal 2 stage pump, it will have a spool under a cap and a adjuster on the other side that is spring loaded. As Kevin said get a breakdown of it but if it were me I would pull the cap and see what is stopping that unloaded spool from moving. I have fixed 1 maybe 2 like this out of 50+. They are cheap, around 150 bucks and usually tore up inside. With a new pump, clean the res and put new oil and filter on, please. Cj
Thanks CJ1

Latest posts

Back