Huskee 35 Ton splitter. Need opinions on engine.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackBurton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.
I picked up a 35 ton Huskee splitter with a bad engine over the weekend. Its well used, and most of the decals are long gone (which is why I wasnt sure exactly what the rating on it was).
My plan was to just replace the engine, but I didnt know how big (or how expensive the replacements are) it was until it was home, so that is going to prove a bit more expensive than Id planned, but still worth it if need be. The engine is locked up. Likely from water/rust in the cylinder, but I have not confirmed, although I will in the next few days. If thats all, it may be possible to get a bit more life out of it I suppose.

My issue is, it seems like the 11hp Briggs & Stratton I/C engine is sort of an oddball. There are tons of I/C engines out there, but very few are recoil start, and fewer still have engine mounted throttle controls.
And thats another issue, the throttle controls are about gone.
So, do I try to rebuild it and fix or replace the controls?
Replace the engine?
If replace, what with?
I assume I can mount the pump any which way I want, as long as the hoses reach, which would allow me to use a Chinese engine on it (for cost) and some of those have good reviews, but Im open to anything that isnt too expensive if anyone has done this before.

If it was me and the engine is bad I would replace it with a HF Predator 13 HP and it has electric and recoil start. Throttle and choke on the engine. Looks like they have went up in price close to four hundred bucks. Watch for coupons. I have a bunch of Predator engines on the farm that run pumps to buzz saws man lifts and haven't ever had a issue with one.

I have 3 predator generators and put a predator engine on log splitter approx 5-6 yes ago. Knock on wood not a problem with any of them.

Well, I was going to go with Predator, but ended up with an ExtremePower 15hp. Oddly enough, it seems that Predator is made by Lifan, who also makes the ExtremePower.
I have to cut the engine mount off the tank and move it down to accommodate a horizontal crank engine, and the pump, and Im considering replacing the pump, as it seems it might be stuck in its 2nd stage and not moving very fast. That and its leaking. If I can get one fairly inexpensively, Ill still have a bargain of a log splitter, though not quite as much of one as I would have if it didnt need a pump.
I recon I could just run the current pump for now, and see how it goes for a bit.

look up the small engine warehouse for engines. that is where most of the box stores and comercial get their stock from.i have a good sized kohler on my 30 ton and would buy another kohler in 2 seconds. first pull start almost every time for 3 years. match up your shaft size and rpm/

My engine went out 2-3 years ago. Mine had a 12.5 briggs on it. I did some research and the shaft size and mounting holes are the same up to 18 horse I think. I found a lower grade mtd mower with a 15hp engine in it for $75. The guy said it wouldn't start, ended up being the solenoid. I fixed that and made sure it ran well. I had to swap my carb and take out 2 head bolts to mount the gas tank. Have 2 ways to start it now too. I was able to get the pull start hardware mounted in the new cover but also added a battery and it is push button too. I then sold the mower carcass for $60 bucks. I ended up having less than $40 in a engine swap.

Back