Huskee splitter experince

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bump_r

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've had my 27-ton Huskee/SpeeCo splitter for a few years and have some advice and worthwhile notes for new owners.

First - read the manual. There's a lot of CYA safety stuff in there, but there's also some pretty important stuff (not that safety isn't important, but "remove the spark plug wire before performing any service or repair"? - Yeah, I'll get right on that...)

Change your hydraulic filter often! The manual calls for an initial change after 35 hours of operation. In my typical usage, that would have been after only a month or a month and a half - It would not (and did not) occur to me to perform any service to such a new machine. Are these splitters really built that "dirty" or is it the nature of the beast to have junk in the system? I duuno, but go ahead and fork out the 8 and a half bucks and do it. I can kick my splitter on it's tail and swap out the filter without losing hydraulic oil BUT...

Gasoline spills out of the engine (fuel cap? Dunno) when it's resting tongue-up, foot down. It balances well that way, but I lose gas and the engine smokes heavily after leaving it this way for any length of time. My buddy's 22-ton model with the Briggs & Stratton does neither, but the "superior" Honda does, go figure.

Keep a spare Lovejoy handy. http://www.lovejoy-inc.com/ The coupler between the engine and pump has let go on my unit after about 5 years and my buddy's after 2. TSC doesn't seem to carry the 3-piece "kit" but you can generally piece one together with off-the-shelf parts for extra cost. Just get one and keep it in your saw box, along with the appropriate Allen wrench. You'll need one with a 7/8" bore on one side and 1/2" on the other.As a side note, I thought for the longest time that my Lovejoy took different sizes for the driving side and driven side - drove me nuckin FUTS!! Turns out that one of them had just split, making me use an over-size wrench that never seemed to fit very well. Guess I know why now...

When you do have to change you Lovejoy, be sure to leave an adequate end gap between the two halves so that as the mechanicals heat up and sell you don't develop a thrust load on the $200 pump's high-volume/low-pressure drive gear and hog it into the pump housing rendering said $200 two-stage pump into a slow-only one. Trust me on this one, I did the autopsy myself.

If you get a replacememnt pump from Northern Tools (FKA Northern Hydraulics), it is a Haldex unit, albeit one with substandard exterior finish. Mine appears to function just fine, but it's not as pretty as the original and I did have to change out the press-fit suction-side nipple for the original (the original had a necked-down hose barb whereas the new one had a straight 7/8 diameter) It's an easy change and cheaper than dinking around with adapters.

More about filters: Wal Mart does not carry the filter you need -they have one that looks like it, but the thread pitch is different. The manual calls for, among others, Fram P1653A, but my TSC guy and some of the cross-over charts call for P1654A - TSC carries both. I went with the 1563

The paint on these splitters S-U-C-K-S! Pretty early in it's existence, my paint started coming off in sheets. It looks like perhaps there was a breech in the surface, then the paint was undercut in big chunks before I knew it. Soon, I was losing paint all the way down to rusted metal. A sever case of boredom, some rusty metal primer, a half-case of Aervoe camouflage paint and a 30-pack of Busch took care of that. It's now hides pretty well in plain sight when it has to stay outside. I guess that IS the point of camouflage paint, though, ain't it?

Don't forget you have a splitter in tow when you have a splitter in tow. Trust me on this,too. Long story, but in my haste to aid a wood-cuttin' buddy in distress, I backed over the thing, putting it on it's top (guess
I'm the only guy on the block with a wood splitter engine shroud and gas cap with road-rash). Popped a bead on one of the tires, ginked up the rear quarter panel of my truck and generally looked every bit of a dumbass that I have been referred to in various settings.

This one is great. I got one of those reflective fiberglass driveway markers from Lowe's and I poke it in the void right behind the wedge (look, you'll see it). A quick glance in my rear-view mirror and I can see that I still have the splitter with me when I'm tooling to and fro. I broke it off when I put the splitter on it's top, I need a new one.

When I did turn turtle with the splitter, I broke the plastic choke plate bellcrank. Bad news? This part's not a serviced part, gotta replace teh whole carburetor. Good news? the carb's REAL cheap ($12 if memory serves) and isn't too big of a hassle to change.

The Honda engine will run on 50:1 saw mix. Really.

Get a ball bungee and wrap it around the tongue just rearward of where the stand nests into the tongue. Snap the bungee over the foot to hold it in place while fiddle with the pin. About that stand... Someone's gonna lose a finger on that thing one day. Using the ball bungee trick should help make it happen to some other guy and not you.

Keep your body parts out of pinch areas. My left thumb is still notably wider and flatter than its right-side counterpart and the nail still doesn't grow right. Sure, the manual says to not have one guy run the lever and another work the log, and just as soon as I find that three-armed man that can bench-press a Buick and works for beer I get right on that, too!

The wedge base should be tougher. I warped mine into an arch and it peels wood off logs and gets stuck between the rail and wedge. I put the thing in a 30-ton press and got some bow out, but it's still not right.

Using the splitter in a vertical orientation makes no sense to me. I'd rather grunt a big log up or cut it down to size than work on my knees trying to "oof" a big round onto that itty-bitty foot. That said, the splitter may benefit from a second "kick stand" under the foot, I've had several instance where the weight of a log makes the whole thing rock rearward. Freaky experience, that.

Get a Fiskars hatchet. It will nest between the hydraulic hard-line and the hydro cylinder and be REAL handy when splitting elm or other stringy logs.

There ya have it. I hope someone can benefit from this post, even if its by me presenting myself as a bad example not to follow.

Due to then overwhelming response to this thread, I'll continue.

When my pump failed but I had not yet diagnosed as such, I had turned my attention to the valve -hoping against hope there was contamination, leaking sea, or something I could find and fix that was less extensive than a pump replacement.

I did find a lot of goo in the detent assembly (under the cap opposite the valve plunger), but cleaning and lubricating that gizmo didn't help - obviously. I then took what turned out to be the blow-off / pressure limiting adjustment out and cleaned it. I THOUGHT I had put it back where I had found it. Well I got the pump on, new filter and oil in place and let 'er rip. Seemed to move OK under no-load, but didn't have and poop to pop,so to speak. Back into the pressure adjustment, and away we went! Woo-hoo, bleed the aeration from the oil (from a leaking filter O-ring - pump sucked air!), brought up to temp and we were golden. Flash forward to today.

A buddy and I were splitting some particularly nasty knots, ones that dragged down the motor a bit, but stalled the ram pretty early into the nasties. I knew it used to power through stuff better than that, so I put another 1/2 turn in on the pressure adjustment. WOW! Gettin' 'er done now! Two more splits in, and POP - rattle - ting-ting. Poop. Blew the Lovjoy. Now to replace the coupler and back that screw out another 1/4 turn. I need a pressure gauge and spec sheet or a fi####ll of couplers.:givebeer:

Last edited:
BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! The censor won't allow f i s t f u l l because of the "shut the heck up" acronym!! Funny stuff.

that's a dayum funny story there bump-r, .....
i've got a few like that but it'd take me all weekend to type 'em out using two fingers....
you must be alot better typer than me ???

Thanks for all the info. If you could do it over would you have bought a different splitter?

If I could have done it all over again, I would have:

Garage-kept it more, that should have saved the paint.
Not backed over it, for obvious reasons.
Not let so many friends use it without me being there.
Changed the filter earlier.
Changed the filter more often.
Asked someone about the finer points of Lovejoy coupler replacement (end gap means everything, apparently).
MAYBE selected the 22-ton model for its faster cycle time (not sure if the Briggs versus Honda deal is worth losing sleep over, really).
Viewed this as a "real" piece of equipment, not "just a splitter" and treated it as such.

The only things I'm not happy with are the weak bottom plate of the wedge (bowed upward, lets wood get caught under it) and the loud, hard to start Honda. I can't believe that thing is so loud and such a PITA when it's cold outside.

All in all I'm happy with it. It's performed as designed without complaint. Most of my issues seem to be self inflicted. So, no, I would not have bought another, and at this price point and performance, I'll most likely buy another SpeeCo when the time comes. Notice the thread title is about "experiences", not "complaints".

When I was troubleshooting the pump issue, I was happy to find that a SpeeCo tech was just a phone call away and actually took the time to discuss the issue and give pointers - customer service like that means a ton to me and sways my opinion greatly. I hope they let that AS member here (Kevin?) post and surf while he's on the clock.

BTW -
I have one buddy with a 22-ton Briggs model with the seepy return hose and another buddy (with the same model) whose valve does not "pop" back to neutral from retract once the ram bottoms out - it just sits there and beats the crap out of the pressure relief until one whacks the lever forward. Been that way since new. I wish these guys would get these fixed. Further, I hope they don't ask me to help, I don't seem to be such a good fixer-of-splitters just yet.

OH! my wife picked up the build-it-yourself coupler from TSC yesterday - What a beefy system! It's a monster compared to the Lovejoy branded one! And it appears to have rubber nibs on each side of each "spider" leg - I can hand-compress coupler halves together from a static condition - I wonder if these are there to create the expansion clearance at assembly? Hmmm... Pics later.

Thanks for the advice. I have yet to change my filter after splitting about 4 cords since June. I better get on it. I have an extra quart of oil on standby in case I lose some. I'm guessing I just tilt it back on the foot tongue in the air and swap out the filter?

Tilt The Splitter

Only thing I dread in removing the filter is it's mounted upside down, that oil is going to pour out of there and go all over.
That is why they have been talking about tilting the splitter. Tilt it and it will not lose much oil - usually what is in the filter and that is it.

Nosmo

Only thing I dread in removing the filter is it's mounted upside down, that oil is going to pour out of there and go all over.
That is why they have been talking about tilting the splitter. Tilt it and it will not lose much oil - usually what is in the filter and that is it.

Nosmo

I know I can tilt the splitter and not loose any oil, what I meant is the filter is mounted upside down, no matter how I tilt the splitter the filter is still upside down, and the oil is going to pour out of the filter when I remove it.

Thanks for the advice. I have a 22 ton model that i have run about 5 cords threw and haven't changed the filter. I guess i know what i will be doing this weekend. As far as the lovejoy coupler is concerned, I have never changed one on a splitter but have replaced several on hydronic systems and if the shaft from the motor and the shaft from the pump are not in a perfectly straight line the coupler will prematurely wear out. Just my 2 cents.

Back