Husky 162SE rebuild help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSL

Reaction score
In the late 70's I purchased my 162SE. It has been a great saw and starts and runs fine, but like me, is getting a little tired. I have been looking for a piston/cylinder/gasket kit, but can't find anything OEM or European. (Dukes, HL Supply, Saw Salvage) There seems to be several Ebay Chinese options including oversize available. I would like to refresh the top end, but don't want to make things worse and unreliable. Is there a quality Chinese option or am I just out-of-luck trying the clean up a 45 year old saw? Thanks for any advice.

If your original cylinder and piston is in good shape I'd get a Caber ring and put that in it. I've used a few of the Chinese cylinders on 61s and the squish is always to big and without grinding on it, it will not be as strong as your OEM one was. If you need another cylinder, I have a closed port one that's in good condition that I'll never use. Welcome to the forum!

I don't know if there is availability on the rings for the original thin ring piston.
You may need to go to a single ring piston like the later 630's if your rings aren't serviceable.
If your cylinder is still in good shape Meteor does have a rather nice piston available. You may need to look it up for a 630 Jonsered, but it will be the same. The 162 more or less turned into the 630 in 83. Early 630's are not much different from late 162's.

Thanks you guys. From the Meteor brochure it looks like the Jonsered 625-630 and the Husqvarna 61/92 have the same 48mm piston. What's the best US source for Meteor/Caber that will be able to help me with my questions? Also, do you think the base gasket will be reusable? And is there a torque setting for the cylinder bolds like there would be on a cylinder head?

Be careful with a piston listed as fitting both the 61/625 and 162/630. The 61 and 625 are open port and use a non windowed piston.
Make sure you are getting a windowed piston.

Base gasket you most likely will be able to re-use. I shouldn't suggest it, but I have done it many times.
I would check your squish, you may be able to run without it and just run sealer.

Spec for the cylinder bolts is 10 NM, or about 7.3FT/LB

The Meteor piston listed for the Jonsered 625-630 looks fully open on the sides as does the piston picture in the old parts schematic I have for the 162SE. Can you recommend a good Meteor dealer for the US? Thanks for your help.

Thanks, Ronie. I'll contact Wolf Creek.
I have a low usage hour 162 SE in excellent condition and hope this works out good for you!
Please keep us posted.

There is some smelly resin from so-called pi** firs that will clean out easily.

IMG_4129.JPGIMG_4130.JPGIMG_4131.JPG

Be careful with a piston listed as fitting both the 61/625 and 162/630. The 61 and 625 are open port and use a non windowed piston.
Make sure you are getting a windowed piston.

Base gasket you most likely will be able to re-use. I shouldn't suggest it, but I have done it many times.
I would check your squish, you may be able to run without it and just run sealer.

Spec for the cylinder bolts is 10 NM, or about 7.3FT/LB
T1

Latest posts

Back