Husky 2100 to 395 cylinder change?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Gudgeon

This One Works Great On Fingernails
Reaction score
Has anyone put a 395 piston/cylinder onto a 2100? Or replaced a 2100 set with anything else?
The reason I ask is that I have a 2100 on the way, and while the condition looked OK from the photos I am preparing in case it's knackered.
Cheers,
Mike

The site sponsor at the top of the page has "new" top ends for 2100's and will ship them to you in Oz.
They are not OEM, not Meteor- but they hold a gaseous explosion and force the piston back down with enough inertia for the crank to roll the piston back up again. Not exactly dead cheap and the shipping is steep- but if the top end is knackered- about your only option if you cant find someone in Aussie with spare old bits.
Of more of a concern would be if it arrived and does not have spark! ;)

The site sponsor at the top of the page has "new" top ends for 2100's and will ship them to you in Oz.
They are not OEM, not Meteor- but they hold a gaseous explosion and force the piston back down with enough inertia for the crank to roll the piston back up again. Not exactly dead cheap and the shipping is steep- but if the top end is knackered- about your only option if you cant find someone in Aussie with spare old bits.
Of more of a concern would be if it arrived and does not have spark! ;)
Yeah, that would be a pain. But I bought the thing knowing I might have to spend some buckses to get it how I want it. There are sets in the US that are cheaper, even allowing for freight, than the ONE supplier I was able to easily find in OZ. Could't see any cranks around but probably won't need one. Will know shortly after the one I bought gets here. The first order of business is to see if she fires, the second is to strip her right down for a good gander at her underwear. lololol But I have no desire to see any naughty bits!!!
Cheers and beers

Yeah, that would be a pain. But I bought the thing knowing I might have to spend some buckses to get it how I want it. There are sets in the US that are cheaper, even allowing for freight, than the ONE supplier I was able to easily find in OZ. Could't see any cranks around but probably won't need one. Will know shortly after the one I bought gets here. The first order of business is to see if she fires, the second is to strip her right down for a good gander at her underwear. lololol But I have no desire to see any naughty bits!!!
Cheers and beers

I just built one myself and renewed the crank with a nice 298 one, the bottom end bearing cage was cracked on the 2100 one. Have a good look at the bottom end bearing before you call it good, there is enough movement to push the rod over to one lobe and use magnifying glasses to check the edge of the cage for cracking. If you have a good top end and that bearing cage fails- you very quickly have a bad top end.
If it doesnt spark- and it is not a broken wire or kill switch issue- you have a parts saw.

Na, I could find a way around it if it were the case. It's not rocket science.
Are you happy with the way yours turned out?

If you could work your way around a buggered ignition you would be doing better than most anyone else in the World looking for the same reason- unless you know where there is a stash of old ones that still work.

Yes, happy with mine, new top end, exchange crank, new main bearings/seals/gaskets- practically a new saw again- just haven't got a 60 inch bar to do it justice. Governor is still in place at this stage and with a 36 inch bar I cannot slow it down (not that the chain speed is fast to begin with!), might get a 42 inch for it and change the tip out to .404- that should cover most of what I intend to do with it.

If you could work your way around a buggered ignition you would be doing better than most anyone else in the World looking for the same reason- unless you know where there is a stash of old ones that still work.

Yes, happy with mine, new top end, exchange crank, new main bearings/seals/gaskets- practically a new saw again- just haven't got a 60 inch bar to do it justice. Governor is still in place at this stage and with a 36 inch bar I cannot slow it down (not that the chain speed is fast to begin with!), might get a 42 inch for it and change the tip out to .404- that should cover most of what I intend to do with it.
Well, I'm not too bad a prettendy engineer!
Holy cow! Just WHAT do you intend to do with a bar that big? Cut the South Island in two?
They ALL used to come standard with .404 in the old days - in OZ anyway. Was that not the case in NZ?

Well, I'm not too bad a prettendy engineer!
Holy cow! Just WHAT do you intend to do with a bar that big? Cut the South Island in two?
They ALL used to come standard with .404 in the old days - in OZ anyway. Was that not the case in NZ?

I get to deal with some big trees- 36 from both sides usually handles them, but sometimes a 42 would be nice.
From what I remember you could buy them new with either 3/8 or 404 drive sprockets, but I was more meaning if I bought a Sugi Hara 42 it would be 0.063 but 3/8 as the agent here does not bring in .404 bars as they don't really sell well here, they do however have the .404 tips and I have a fairly good supply of .404 0.063 Stihl chain in stock.

I get to deal with some big trees- 36 from both sides usually handles them, but sometimes a 42 would be nice.
From what I remember you could buy them new with either 3/8 or 404 drive sprockets, but I was more meaning if I bought a Sugi Hara 42 it would be 0.063 but 3/8 as the agent here does not bring in .404 bars as they don't really sell well here, they do however have the .404 tips and I have a fairly good supply of .404 0.063 Stihl chain in stock.
Choice! Hey, you anywhere near Timaru?

Back