Husky 240S Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr3wcifer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Now I'm not an arborist, and I'm also not great with small engines, but this site seems to be my best bet when it comes to keeping this saw alive. I'm sure you get a ton of casuals like me, but figured I'd give it a shot - bear with me!

I picked up an old 240S Practika a few years ago that's been pretty well beat - taken a drop or two and has some plastic damage. Even with some cosmetic damage, the saw seems to run just fine; unfortunately it seeps bar oil constantly. Not a huge deal if I keep it on its side, but I figured I would try and bring it back to its former glory.. There's just something about a piece of machinery that's older than I am still getting used for its intended purpose.

Anyhow, I decided to use it as a learning experience and take it down as far as I could, clean it up completely, and reassemble it. I've watched what I can online, but there just isn't much available for a saw this old, and I'm not experienced enough to know that I'm not going to damage something that's essentially irreplaceable. Long story short, I can't get the oil pump cover plate off, because I can't figure out how to remove the crankshaft extension holding it on.The spindle/flange highlighted by the arrow appear to be monolithic and, as far as I can tell, can't be removed from the crankshaft. But they've got to be removable somehow, or else how am I supposed to service the oil pump..? Removing all of the retaining bolts lets me slightly lift the oil pump cover plate, but it's not going anywhere without that spindle assembly coming off. There is a single hole on the spindle right about where the arrow's tip is (although not seen in the picture, oops), but I'm not sure if that's indicative of it being threaded on, or something else? Any help in getting this removed would be appreciated!

The oil is seeping through the hole circled at the bottom of the plate (and perhaps elsewhere). Figured I'd highlight that as well in case someone on here with more knowledge can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Chainsaw.png

Just took another look - the single hole on the side of the spindle looks like it could be for a pin spanner wrench. I'll have to see if I can make something that'll try and back that off to the right.

Is that hole for grease to enter the bearing ! Some saws with otbd clutch allow togrease them from that ole in the center of the crank . You don’t have to remove the clutch , etc. that way .

Thanks! I actually found that exploded view on the same site, but it wasn't making sense as I couldn't get the washer off. I literally finally got it off about a half hour ago after throwing some penetrating oil on it and letting it sit, then prying from both sides. I have no idea why it was seized on the crank so hard - there was no sign of corrosion or anything when it finally broke free and slid off.. But I cleaned the crap out of the cover, oil pump components, and bolted it back down - no more oil seep. We'll see if it returns after running it a bit.

I just ordered a new piston ring to see if that helps the compression - there's some scratching on the exhaust side of the piston/cylinder, but it doesn't look terrible. Should probably keep my eyes out for replacements anyhow.

Back