Husky 257 chain catcher screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambs

Stihl crazy after all these years
Reaction score
Working on the saw for a friend and realized the screw holding the chain catcher won't tighten up. I'm reluctant to use a bigger or longer screw because of the risk of damaging the crankcase. What's the best fix for this?

Thanks.

Working on the saw for a friend and realized the screw holding the chain catcher won't tighten up. I'm reluctant to use a bigger or longer screw because of the risk of damaging the crankcase. What's the best fix for this?

Thanks.
Sounds like the hole is stripped out. You could try to chase the threads, but it sounds like you need to re tap to larger fine thread screw. Gotta have a working chain catch!

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I have the one that does not mount through the AV mount. But I think I found a solution. I keep a couple bolts and lock nuts for mounting the bucking spike on my 046 in case it works loose in the field. The bolt, although slightly longer, threaded into the 257 perfectly, and I used a little lock tight to ensure it will stay put. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to the dealer and request the other chain catcher!

Back