Husky 266

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortys7777

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Saw a listing for a 266 locally says starts and runs off choke but doesn't idle. Has old fuel and has been sitting for a while. Are these saws powerful enough to mill some 12" ash or maple possibly? Currently I run a ms290 for all my firewood needs and it is my only saw. The asking price has been tempted to give it a go. I would either keep the 290 or sell it for more than the asking price of the 266. Pretty handy and don't mind getting into the saw as a winter project in my workshop either. Not if parts are hard and expensive to get. Thanks.

Not experienced in milling myself but I’m sure it’ll handle 12” better than the 290. Most all parts are available as that saw chassis was used in many models over a long time( husky 266/268/272/61 JRed 630/670 and other variations I’m forgetting). If the price is good go for it.
One thing to check is how old it is, older models have a course threaded clutch which is no longer made. Used ones can be found but you might have to search.

The 266 is an old saw - especially if it is a 266se. Most have them have been well used as well since they were production saws. If it won't idle, I would be suspicious of worn/leaky seals. Seals aren't that hard to replace though - just something that should be checked before you roast a cylinder. A great saw if in good mechanical condition.

Back