Husky 288 Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
optical-illusion.jpg

I figured this thread needed a little excitement....:hmm3grin2orange:

Ummm...yeah!

Jimmy....mobile.

Still working on this project.
I do not need this saw, so no big hurry.
I will just keep looking for parts and eventually I will get her all done, and cutting.
I got some parts from a member here, now looking in Swap meet thread and always looking on E-Bay.

Hey Clint, you have a way to get the cases split, I have the specialty tool and you are welcome to borrow it if you need it!

The nut that holds on the Flywheel is a real ##### to get off.
I sprayed WD-40 on it, try again tomorrow after work.

Any Ideas?

Thought about heat....

Any Ideas?

Thought about heat....

I removed mine with a 3/8 'butterfly' type impact gun on a low setting. Are you sure you're turnin' it the right way? It's a regular RH thread nut. The clutch on my 'donor' saw was REALY on there however. There was corrosion at all around the bar pad. Rust on the clutch drum too. Looked like they were cutting somethin' nasty, and not cleaning the saw afterwards. Took a 1/2" impact gun at #2 setting to spin that bugger off. Wasn't too worried about messing up that crankshaft as it wasn't the one I was using. You need to clean some parts my friend. Keep at it. The resulsts will be worth it.:msp_thumbup:

[video]http://s171.photobucket.com/user/Eccentric_photo/media/CAM00625_zps6f387ec5.mp4.html[/video]

image_13718.jpg

Last edited:

Any Ideas?

Thought about heat....

Get yourself a good heavy leather glove and hold the flywheel with your left hand and use a impact gun to remove it. Usually all it takes is a 3/8ths impact to do it.

I will try this tonight..
Working on this saw has been a life saver...
Work is very stressful, and after I spend a few hours working on it.
I feel better!

Thanks again for all the help!
I will have lots and lots more questions!

I got the Flywheel nut off..
Now the Flywheel..
It is stuck good.
I will now have to build a puller.

Moving Forward....

I got the Flywheel nut off..
Now the Flywheel..
It is stuck good.
I will now have to build a puller.

Moving Forward....

Yeah these NEED a puller. The usual flywheel removal tricks didn't work on mine. I used my el-cheapo steering wheel puller that I've had for 20 years or so. Unscrew the starter pawl pivot bolts from the flywheel to access those threaded holes for the puller.

I used the top inner bucking spike screw (passes through the muffler bracket) from my two parts saws along with some fender washers (I don't have a big selection of metric bolts to try). Those screws were the right size/pitch and the right length for my puller.

Had to trim the edge of the washers to clear the jack screw on the puller (because the pawl screw holes are pretty close together). Worked like a charm on two flywheels. Tightened it down a bit (didn't go crazy) and then one or two smacks on the jack screw with a hammer popped 'em loose.:msp_thumbup:

My puller looks kinda like this. Cost me something like $10-$15 back in 1990-something.

w80651.jpg

Something like this balancer puller would work so long as the slots extend close enough to the center.

w151p.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah these NEED a puller. The usual flywheel removal tricks didn't work on mine. I used my el-cheapo steering wheel puller that I've had for 20 years or so. Unscrew the starter pawl pivot bolts from the flywheel to access those threaded holes for the puller.

I used the top inner bucking spike screw (passes through the muffler bracket) from my two parts saws along with some fender washers (I don't have a big selection of metric bolts to try). Those screws were the right size/pitch and the right length for my puller.

Had to trim the edge of the washers to clear the jack screw on the puller (because the pawl screw holes are pretty close together). Worked like a charm on two flywheels. Tightened it down a bit (didn't go crazy) and then one or two smacks on the jack screw with a hammer popped 'em loose.:msp_thumbup:

My puller looks kinda like this. Cost me something like $10-$15 back in 1990-something.

w80651.jpg

Something like this balancer puller would work so long as the slots extend close enough to the center.

w151p.jpg

I use the harmonic balancer type, remove starter pawls and thread bolts for puller in there, leave nut threaded a couple of threads on crank to protect crank, apply some heat to area around crank and fw and then some pb blaster while hot, apply firm tension and then smack the tension bolt a couple of times, repeat as needed!!

BTW the splitter is on its way, dont forget to empty the oil tank first or you will be sorry!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Bar Stud Issue

While I was cleaning my saw I tightened my bar nuts and the front bar stud pushed in the case.
The back bar stud did not go in but just turns in the case.

If the threads are good, do I need to replace the Bar Studs?
How do I get the bar studs to stay in the case?

Here are some pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
The studs have a head shaped like the crossbar on the letter 'T'. That fits into pockets within the right case half when the stud is fully inserted. Grab the stud with pliers and pull it through while rotating it. You should feel it drop into place when oriented correctly. If you are splitting the cases you will easily see the stud area from the back side. With a good flashlight you should also be able to see the stud heads through the bar oil tank filler hole as well.

The studs have a head shaped like the crossbar on the letter 'T'. That fits into pockets within the right case half when the stud is fully inserted. Grab the stud with pliers and pull it through while rotating it. You should feel it drop into place when oriented correctly. If you are splitting the cases you will easily see the stud area from the back side. With a good flashlight you should also be able to see the stud heads through the bar oil tank filler hole as well.

In the cases that I have split before, I saw th bar studs are covered in some black looking glue stuff that is very hard.
Do I glue the bar studs back in? If so what do I use?

In the cases that I have split before, I saw th bar studs are covered in some black looking glue stuff that is very hard.
Do I glue the bar studs back in? If so what do I use?

They of course used some sort of sealer. I'd think that something like Motoseal or Threebond 1194/1184/Hondabond4/etc, or some other oil resistant sealer would work fine. Get things as clean as you can so the sealer can adhere. When you put that together put a short bar and a clutch cover on and tighten the bar nuts to hold the studs in place. Leave it for a while to cure.

Great morning for saw work.
Nice and cool, rained most of the night.

Finally got the Flywheel off...
Managed to break two flywheel fins off..:bang::bang::bang:
Had my granddaughter helping me.

Now to clean it up some and split the case.

Some Pics.

attachment.php

My Helper..

attachment.php

Back