Husky 345 has spark and fuel but won't pop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be flooded, or a sheared flywheel key.
I have removed the spark plug several times to find that it was wet. Using compressed air I blew out the cylinder and dried off the spark plug and tried over. It certainly has been flooded, but that doesn't explain all my problems. A sheared flywheel key certainly might. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

The saw has a decompression valve. If I pull the pull cord with the decompression valve pushed in versus not pushed in, there is a significant difference. I know there's at least some reasonable amount of compression.

Check and see if coil hacs correct clearance with flywheel. If coil is moved away from flywheel u could haul all day. Also haul muffler of and check piston see if its scuffed up and groves going up it you have problems rings stuck .piston and cylindar shot.i hope the best friend.

No, I haven't. But what could be going on there that would prevent any prevent any combustion at all?

Well you see, you have established there is spark, you have established there is fuel arriving in the combustion chamber- the next likely suspect is lack of compression- pulling the muffler and looking at the piston for the entirety of the stroke can give you visual indication of if and why compression may not be sufficient for combustion to occur.
Very simple check to perform and easier than pulling the flywheel if you do not have the correct tooling or know the tricks to get it off the crank.
Check the piston through the exhaust port- supply photos even- then I am sure HarleyT will be back with a simple method of flywheel removal to check the key is still valid.

Well you see, you have established there is spark, you have established there is fuel arriving in the combustion chamber- the next likely suspect is lack of compression- pulling the muffler and looking at the piston for the entirety of the stroke can give you visual indication of if and why compression may not be sufficient for combustion to occur.
Very simple check to perform and easier than pulling the flywheel if you do not have the correct tooling or know the tricks to get it off the crank.
Check the piston through the exhaust port- supply photos even- then I am sure HarleyT will be back with a simple method of flywheel removal to check the key is still valid.
I take a brass hammer and give the crank a few whacks on the clutch side, usually after a few good raps the flywheel will fall off.

the next likely suspect is lack of compression
95 psi is the best I could get with my Guage. Certainly that's too low for a saw to run well, but would that stop it from firing at all?
I managed to get the flywheel off with a center punch and hammer directed at the end of the crankshaft (thanks to some YouTube videos I watched). Key was okay.
The rest of the news isn't so good. Piston is scored:
20220625_175825.jpg
I guess I've got a parts saw because I doubt it's worth rebuilding. Besides, I don't really need another 45cc saw.
Thanks to all for the advice. Next time I'll check compression and examine the piston first! O

95 psi is the best I could get with my Guage. Certainly that's too low for a saw to run well, but would that stop it from firing at all?
I managed to get the flywheel off with a center punch and hammer directed at the end of the crankshaft (thanks to some YouTube videos I watched). Key was okay.
The rest of the news isn't so good. Piston is scored:
View attachment 998598
I guess I've got a parts saw because I doubt it's worth rebuilding. Besides, I don't really need another 45cc saw.
Thanks to all for the advice. Next time I'll check compression and examine the piston first! O
Bingo- there's your problem.

I have removed the spark plug several times to find that it was wet. Using compressed air I blew out the cylinder and dried off the spark plug and tried over. It certainly has been flooded, but that doesn't explain all my problems. A sheared flywheel key certainly might. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!
How many spark plugs have been tried?

Latest posts

Back