Husky 359 mystery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, picked up an older 359 the other day... craigslist...
Looked ok, dirty but ran, idled, great comp but smoked bad.
On cleanup the piston showed carbon buildup above the ring and in the ex port...
Pulled the cyl to clean the piston.
Found weird pin holes in the inside of the cyl...bad casting?

Stamped # on the thing is 53270068_ and doesn't match any pt# I can find... aftermarket?
Cyl shows very fine cross hatching. No base gasket but a thing coat of sealer.

Piston cleaned up fine.
Comp before showed 180.
Was going to just try new gas and run it until I noticed the car ones piston.
Pics...IMG_20220123_162125_01.jpgIMG_20220123_162826_02.jpgIMG_20220123_221415.jpgIMG_20220123_221505.jpgIMG_20220123_214937_01.jpgIMG_20220123_221355.jpg
Thoughts?

The number stamped in may be the part # of cylinder that Husqvarna uses internally For production As you can’t buy a cylinder by itself, but they need to know what part it is for cylinder kits or manufacture
a lot of parts have numbers on them that don’t exist to dealers end users etc.

The number stamped in may be the part # of cylinder that Husqvarna uses internally For production As you can’t buy a cylinder by itself, but they need to know what part it is for cylinder kits or manufacture
a lot of parts have numbers on them that don’t exist to dealers end users etc.
Ha, thanks. Good to know.
It would still be cool th find out who did the port job, especially if local.
Whoever it was knew what he was doing...nice mild porting, nothing radical.
I'm surprised, however, that he didn't do the muffler. That will definitely need to be done.

Somebody has a damn steady hand if those numbers aren't factory haha. Perfectly spaced and level, definitely looks factory stamped to me. Husqvarna made the 359 cylinders in house. Every one of them I've been into had those "pock marks" in the cylinder plating. Depending on run time or more often sometimes "sit time," some are pretty bad. Pretty common. Regardless, they rarely seem to effect runnability. They came with either the Zama EL42 or Walbro HDA 199 carb. Others say differently sometimes, but I'm partial to the Walbro. Once they're gone through and debugged, they're a phenomenal carb.

Latest posts

Back