Husky 359 with 24”’ bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redgap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I had a 32” diameter maple to cut down and buck up. The biggest saw I currently have operable is my 359 with ported muffler, but it had an 18” bar with full comp chain. I know this probably runs against conventional wisdom, but I decided to try an Archer 24” bar and full skip chain. Ran that combo today and IMHO it cut like a big dog, both across and along the grain. Only thing I expected and experienced, was that you have to be careful with kickback, especially when attempting to bore cut. And no I wouldn’t run full skip on anything less than a 24” bar.

According to my original owners manual for my Red 359 (2159) 24" is the recommended maximum fitment for bars- so you are still in the safe range by the factory specs.
Not that easy to find K095 24" bars- but I have seen a 2159 running a D009 28" bar with full compliment 3/8 chain and it did not complain much!

I don't doubt it. One saw I regret (some days) selling, was my last 359, it was a minty etech, that I muffer moded and did some moderate port work to. It would rip with a 20" bar, both in cross cut and noodling. Could keep up with a stock 372xp. How does it balance with a 24" bar? That would be my only concern, especially with a non lightweight bar. In the end it wasn't all that much lighter than my 372xp xtorq and I really didn't NEED to keep it around. If it had the same bar mount I would have, I don't know why they couldn't work the larger bar mount onto the saw.
They are a great all arounder saw, but a bit redundant on a 50/70cc plan. Just watch the plastic intake boot clamp and keep the filter clean. O...and I am not a fan of outboard clutch saws. I personally would not run full skip with your setup, I think it will handle full comp just fine.

No, I wouldn’t run the 24” full skip on my 359 except for special circumstances. It’s heavy, unbalanced, and more likely to kick back…but it works when I need it. I’ve still got an 18” full comp to swap in and out. Or my 257 standing by. Eventually I’ll get my 66 operable, maybe even as a 272.

No, I wouldn’t run the 24” full skip on my 359 except for special circumstances. It’s heavy, unbalanced, and more likely to kick back…but it works when I need it. I’ve still got an 18” full comp to swap in and out. Or my 257 standing by. Eventually I’ll get my 66 operable, maybe even as a 272.
I'd be getting the 272 going next, 24" should be pretty at home on that.

Sugihara makes a light weight 24" husky small mount. May want to try that. I hopefully it will be like a "standard" 20".

I bought a 24" bar for my Husky 61 and one for my 257, both stock. Neither one of them seems comfortable with them. In a pinch, maybe, but that's it. Both love a 20" bar. Maybe they are both spoiled brats. :buttkick:
My Husky 460 can also run a 24” bar…with full skip chain…comfortably in pine.

Grease the clutch bearing and keep the chain razor sharp. Let the saw cut on its own, don’t lean on it. Richen the mix ratio.

Latest posts

Back