Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt Spud

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post on here so bear with me. I recently bought a brand new Husqvarna 372 X Torque in plans of it being my go to firewood saw for decent sized maple and oak. I am currently running a 24" bar with Husqvarna full chisel chain which has been touched up with a Pferd 2 in 1 file.

Anyways, the saw has had about 1-1.5 gallons of fuel run through it, 40:1 Husky oil. The L screw and T have been adjusted to improve the idle and bog off bottom. I haven't touched the H screw yet but it hasn't shown signs of being crazy lean or rich at WOT under no load. This past weekend I was cutting some 20" green sugar maple and I wasn't overly impressed with the power, it seemed as though the RPMs really fell off in the cut. I should note that I was not pushing the saw down, just letting it eat on its own. The chain was throwing a nice chip, but did not feel like it was grabbing excessively or anything. The dealer said that it would take a good 5 gallons to break the saw in... But it has me wondering, would it really wake up that much once it's fully broken in? Or should I buy a tach and remove the limiters on the carb for more adjustment/better tuning? Personally I figured a 70cc saw wouldn't bog this much in 20" wood but maybe my perspective has been skewed from watching too many videos of ported saws. I can upload a video if needed.

Thanks for your help,

Spud

Hi all,

First post on here so bear with me. I recently bought a brand new Husqvarna 372 X Torque in plans of it being my go to firewood saw for decent sized maple and oak. I am currently running a 24" bar with Husqvarna full chisel chain which has been touched up with a Pferd 2 in 1 file.

Anyways, the saw has had about 1-1.5 gallons of fuel run through it, 40:1 Husky oil. The L screw and T have been adjusted to improve the idle and bog off bottom. I haven't touched the H screw yet but it hasn't shown signs of being crazy lean or rich at WOT under no load. This past weekend I was cutting some 20" green sugar maple and I wasn't overly impressed with the power, it seemed as though the RPMs really fell off in the cut. I should note that I was not pushing the saw down, just letting it eat on its own. The chain was throwing a nice chip, but did not feel like it was grabbing excessively or anything. The dealer said that it would take a good 5 gallons to break the saw in... But it has me wondering, would it really wake up that much once it's fully broken in? Or should I buy a tach and remove the limiters on the carb for more adjustment/better tuning? Personally I figured a 70cc saw wouldn't bog this much in 20" wood but maybe my perspective has been skewed from watching too many videos of ported saws. I can upload a video if needed.

Thanks for your help,

Spud

I would say 5-10 tanks to set the rings. 5 gallons is very excessive. If you've ran over a gallon already, I can't see it waking up anymore than it is now. I would definitely pull the limiters and retune it.

I wouldn't base judgement of a saws performance on a single piece of wood. Some are real Bitches, and can fool you into thinking something is wrong with the saw. The saw should be 4 stroking out of the cut and run smooth and steady in the cut. If it is, then tuning is Okay. As far as the green ash, try cutting some seasoned wood to see it the saw performs any better. As far as breakin goes, I bet it is fully broken in, and if it isn't, then you got more power to look forward to.

I would say 5-10 tanks to set the rings. 5 gallons is very excessive. If you've ran over a gallon already, I can't see it waking up anymore than it is now. I would definitely pull the limiters and retune it.
I'll dig in to it more this weekend and report back, thanks!

I wouldn't base judgement of a saws performance on a single piece of wood. Some are real Bitches, and can fool you into thinking something is wrong with the saw. The saw should be 4 stroking out of the cut and run smooth and steady in the cut. If it is, then tuning is Okay. As far as the green ash, try cutting some seasoned wood to see it the saw performs any better. As far as breakin goes, I bet it is fully broken in, and if it isn't, then you got more power to look forward to.
Fair point. I'll pull the caps and retune. Thanks!

So much depends on so much, you have a good saw there, look after it. Your using a good oil (but which one, husqvarna has two types) 40-1 seems the favourite over your way, here in uk I been using 50-1 for many years and the insides are always looking good, but they are looked after. Keep the chain sharp and rakers set correct, a sharp chain to some is blunt to others!
Run it, enjoy it and you should know when it wakes up..... but I would concentrate more on your chain👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

White oak is even tougher. Try various woods

Back