husky 394 chain type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently run a 24 inch bar with full chisel 3/8 .50 on my 394. Im looking into trying either semi skip or full skip chain but i have no experience with anything other then full chisel. Most of my cutting is logs on the ground that have been laying for quite some time. suggestions on what version of chain would best suits my cutting situations? And the saw is not ported, no muffler mod, and i do have a bigger bar and chain for it.

Stihl 33rm or Oregon 72dp was best for ground fall. But not available in skip if i remember.
33rsf is chisel in semi skip from Stihl

Where you at? I'm in western wi and have some different setups for my 395s if you want to try some options. Personally I don't think there will be a benefit to running skip on that bar length, but some people do like it.

Where you at? I'm in western wi and have some different setups for my 395s if you want to try some options. Personally I don't think there will be a benefit to running skip on that bar length, but some people do like it.
half hour south of rochester. I've never really tried anything other then a basic full chisel chain and i've been watching videos on, and reading about what chains people are using and what their reasons are for each application. I have a 32 inch bar with a skip chain that i havent had to use yet so i guess i could throw that on and see if i like it... Majority of the wood i cut is perfect for the 24 inch bar though

half hour south of rochester. I've never really tried anything other then a basic full chisel chain and i've been watching videos on, and reading about what chains people are using and what their reasons are for each application. I have a 32 inch bar with a skip chain that i havent had to use yet so i guess i could throw that on and see if i like it... Majority of the wood i cut is perfect for the 24 inch bar though

I'm a little ways from you, in river falls. But if you ever want to make the trip, it's always fun to meet other members.

Here is a link to some archer full chisel skip chain. I think it's full skip. This stuff is decent enough chain. It used to be cheaper, so I'd suggest comparing it to Oregon to see if the price difference is worth it. Luckily it's got the Oregon part number in the listing.

Hard to justify skip on a 24” bar. I’m also using 24” 3/8 0.050.

I’ve had really good luck with the Oregon PowerCut in that size. Been working with Husqvarna’s C83 X-Cut chain for a little while, and I’m really impressed with it so far.

I currently run a 24 inch bar with full chisel 3/8 .50 on my 394. Im looking into trying either semi skip or full skip chain but i have no experience with anything other then full chisel. Most of my cutting is logs on the ground that have been laying for quite some time. suggestions on what version of chain would best suits my cutting situations? And the saw is not ported, no muffler mod, and i do have a bigger bar and chain for it.

The only benefit to skip chain for bucking on a 24" bar with a 394 is...quicker to sharpen the chain.

For dirty wood, you should try a loop of semi-chisel chain (full comp or skip, doesn't matter for the test). Many find semi-chisel holds its sharpness longer in dirty wood than full-chisel.

Roy

The advantage to full comp vs. skip on a saw as powerful as the 394 is not really for cutting speed, but for time spent sharpening. If, in your opinion, you are spending too much time filing because of dulling you chain often, then going to skip with its approximately 14 or so cutters per side instead of 21 or so on the full comp, will get you back up bucking quicker.

There are tradeoffs, of course. Filing to can be a welcome break from bucking, or it can be a source of anxiety, such as, "I'm burning daylight sharpening when I 'should' be cutting". You'd have to make that call.

When I was busheling as a timber feller, I'd often resent having to stop production to touch up my chain. At the same time, I really enjoyed the few minutes of quiet. The camp robber jays would fly up close to see if I was going to offer them some goodies. The pileated woodpeckers might start hammering a snag, or vocally complaining that I was close to their nest. I actually preferred full comp .404 on 30" bars my hopped up 288s rather than skip as I found zipping through limbs was quicker with the full comp. The 228s had plenty of power to pull 30" full comp chisel for felling/bucking in our timber-various firs (Doug, grand, subalpine), Englemann spruce, P pine, lodgepole, others.

The only benefit to skip chain for bucking on a 24" bar with a 394 is...quicker to sharpen the chain.

For dirty wood, you should try a loop of semi-chisel chain (full comp or skip, doesn't matter for the test). Many find semi-chisel holds its sharpness longer in dirty wood than full-chisel.

Roy
It's quicker to sharpen because you have fewer cutters. But because you have fewer cutters doing the same workload… Well, crap. Looks like it gets dull sooner too. :p

Most people here run skip on 28+ bar's
Full chisel full comp is all I run on my 24" saws
I do have a bunch of semi chisel it does good for dirty wood.

Why ? Faster cutting ? Less time sharpening ? longer "sharp" chain life ?
Switching a 24" bar on a 394 to skip will not pick up a lot of speed. If your not getting to 8500 to 9000 rpm in the wood, look for a different problem.
Less cutters faster to sharpen, but dulls faster. You decide touch up after every tank or ever other.
Staying "sharp" longer in dirty wood, switch over to semi-chisel cutter. Doesn't cut as fast. I would try this first.
Going to a longer bar 32". Skip will help with speed. Semi skip compared to a 24" full house will be close to the same amount of cutters. Not having to lean so far over to cut wood on the ground maybe the advantage to a 32" bar. Disadvantage you will put the tip in the dirt more then a 24".

I cut a lot of dirty ground wood too… some really nasty live oak with dirt and animal nest/ grub mud in the trunk of even some of the live standing. I’m running a 32”, full chisel skip and can’t really tell much difference in that and the semi chisel on my smaller saw. I keep my chains pretty sharp and only have to grind on them every few tank fulls. I even occasionally cut on some stuff pulled out of the ground and I won’t be switching to semi.

Back