Husky 395 walbro wj39 wont pull fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriklane

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Converted 394 to a 395 jug and changed the intake, used the wj39 from tge 394 but drilled the carb top and added a nipple for the impulse line, sealed around it of course. Rebuilt the carb a year ago and can’t remember when things started but i think this has been happening a while, but not related to jug conversion. Pull a dozen times a little gas in intake but sparky never wet. Runs fine if i splash gas in carb. Pressure tested gas tank and line is clog free. Pressure tested carb. Rechecked metering valve. Cleaned carb profusely.
Impulse line newer. Will check crankcase for leaks. Carb is old. Since ive converted what other carb options do i have?

I don't use the old intake obviously, since the 395 jug has an impulse line. Simonian even shows how to convert a 94 to 95, which I followed. Outside of drilling welch plugs or some other way to know if the carb is the issue, what else can i do to double check the carb? As mentioned, there's some fuel in the intake, and a little in the bowl, I do think I need to double check the impulse line(new with jug), to see that it's getting a signal, but with it running mostly fine once I dab some fuel in the carb, wouldn't that suggest that the impulse is ok, but that the carb may have issues? Or maybe I just go with the 395 throttle cable and carb?

A common cause for suspected fuel pump problems occurs
when the needle and seat doesn't open. A vacuum leak on the
carb base, float diaphragm, etc.

I can’t say i know what was wrong with the old one but it had a bunch of wear on both sides and possibly air was leaking. Glad it worked. It was Walbro 501 35 55-01. The throttle cable catch is slightly different than the wj-39 so I had to get a new one of those, and also the choke linkage hole is smaller so I had to swap that out also.

Latest posts

Back