Husky 395xp milling setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all!
about to pull the trigger on purchasing Husqvarna 395 XP with a 36 inch bar as well as the corresponding Granberg Alaskan mill. I’m currently milling with a 450 Rancher, Granberg mini mill, and homemade (ish) vertical canting mill. I don’t want to kill my rancher. I would like to keep that for logs up to 14 inches. A lot of what I’m cutting into now is between 24 and 28 inches in diameter- all hardwoods. If anybody has some advice on the initial set up, it would be appreciated. Things like: bar/ chain brand and type, here’s how you can run a narrow kerf chain, modifications that can be made at purchase rather than later...... This will be a milling only saw and it’s currently just a hobby (more like obsession). Any (good) advice is appreciated!

Hi all!
about to pull the trigger on purchasing Husqvarna 395 XP with a 36 inch bar as well as the corresponding Granberg Alaskan mill. I’m currently milling with a 450 Rancher, Granberg mini mill, and homemade (ish) vertical canting mill. I don’t want to kill my rancher. I would like to keep that for logs up to 14 inches. A lot of what I’m cutting into now is between 24 and 28 inches in diameter- all hardwoods. If anybody has some advice on the initial set up, it would be appreciated. Things like: bar/ chain brand and type, here’s how you can run a narrow kerf chain, modifications that can be made at purchase rather than later...... This will be a milling only saw and it’s currently just a hobby (more like obsession). Any (good) advice is appreciated!
Search for hyper skip ripping chain it’s .404

Everything I'm about to post is only one man's opinion. I'm sure many more will chime in with great info & their opinions.
My biggest piece of advice (you may already know this from your current setup, if so, please disregard) is that you get significantly less cut width than what the mill is classified as. If you buy a 36" mill (providing you have a long enough bar) you still at max can only get a 35" cut, even with the end bracket flipped around to get you "that little extra." Now that the mill is maxed out, let's talk about bar length. You will lose around 6-8" because of where/how the mill clamps onto the bar at both ends vs. on one end with the mini mill. Whether or not you have dogs on the saw also makes a difference. I can only get a 28" or so cut out of the 36" bar I have on my Husqvarna 2100. With my 48" mill maxed out to 47", I have to have a 56" bar to be able to clamp the bar in appropriate areas & utilize the full 47" cut width. My dogs are still installed. Just food for thought. So many think "36 inch bar + 36 inch mill = 36 inch cut" and it's not the case. I think you'd be just fine obviously for your 24"-28", but if you push it much past that, it's something to consider.

I have tried them all (chains) in every shape and size. I would just stick with standard 3/8 pitch for your 36" bar. I used to use "ripping chain" with the special cutters (like granberg chain) but in my eyes it's way overpriced for results. After all these years I find that I like a standard 3/8 chain, full chisel OR semi-chisel. I find if I hand file the top plate angle back to 5°-10° instead of the standard crosscut top plate angle of 25°, it gives the best results for the money invested. Other than this one scenario, I run Stihl chain exclusivity. I have however had good results with the forester ripping chain for the money. It's nothing special, but the top plate angle is already filed back to a "lesser angle," to start with. They make it in .050 or .063 gauge. Seems to last decently well.
https://forestershop.com/forester-3-8-063-gauge-full-chisel-ripping-chain-33fcr.html

Funny what a difference time makes!
I’m now using a 54” bar on the 48” Granburg- no spikes. Got my methodology down. Pulled from all the kind, knowledgeable folks on this site and YouTube.

My wife says “our home is not a lumber yard”! She’s right! It’s a sawmill!!😂😂.

Nice video Benwa!

Ha! I didn't even look at the original date of your first post. I'm an idiot. Anyway, glad you got 'er all nailed down. It's a bad hobby to get into........ it turns to obsession in no time. All of a sudden there's no firewood anywhere, but everything is a beautiful slab haha. Sounds like something my wife would say too!

I would definitely recommend either filing a normal chisel chain differently or buying a ripping chain.

I bought Bailey's 3/8 .050" ripping chain and it made the cuts a lot smoother. But I think a normal chain could be re-filed to match it for someone who knows more.

I also don't Mill a lot of wood so there may be better advice...

Latest posts

Back