Husky 395XP Oil Pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I think the oil pump on my 395xp isn't putting out as much oil as it should.

Any ideas on how much it should put out with the screw turned all the way to maximum? At the end of a tank of gas, it's only down about 1/3 to 1/2 tank of oil. I ran it today after finishing cutting with the bar off, and it is oiling.

Cleaned the bar, made sure the oil ports on each side of the bar are clear, and scraped out the channel. It did have quite a bit of gunk in it... don't know if that is a factor or not.

Any advice on what to check or ???

Empty oil tank & clean it out with some fuel. Check the end of the oil pickup for the mesh filter, if it's cracked or missing you will probably have a blockage in the end of the line behind the pump housing. Sometimes sawdust can get compacted around the back end of the pump piston limiting it's stroke (like if it were set to low). There should be a plastic plug to keep it out.

I'm not sure without liking at mine, but I'm pretty sure max oil is the screw turned out all the way. You mentioned you had it turned in all the way. May just be a case of not having it set right.

Thanks guys!! I finally got a chance to go out to the shop today and check the oil pump on my 395... Turns out (Get it??) that the screw was turned in all the way... which I have no explanation of why I did... or when... because I don't remember ever adjusting it. But, it oiled good before. And now it didn't this last couple of times I ran the saw.

But, it is now set to where it should be. And it is oiling good. Wasn't looking forward to a $125 oil pump...

I must have turned it in somehow maybe when cleaning the saw the last time. It's hell getting old. I just turned 51, can I say that now?

Latest posts

Back