Husky 45 Crank Seals? Yes or No

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordiesel69

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a cheap husky 45 special. It runs fairly well but being from the early 1990s it pretty much a certainty the crank seals will be crispy right? In doing research, I can still get crank seals for $11 each, and a new ring for $10 ~ 20 depending on vendor. Piston and cylinder are good. Carb is also good. So here is the dilema, there is a 2 pc cylinder seal called a "crankshaft cpl 2pc" and the part # is 506056502.

My fear is that when I chalk this up in a jig and press the seals out, by the time the new ones are pressed in this part will be brittle. Also it is of concern that the rubber seal cylinder base seal is going to be rock hard as well.

How come this part appears to be un-obtainum and not reproduced aftermarket? What are the chances I can be very careful and salvage these 2 pieces and re-use them?

1674136263329.png1674136441473.png

Well, there is also the how-much-would-you-pay issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114131546571
If this was my saw, I'd just run it, being careful about detecting a lean condition. While I was looking for a pair of reasonably-priced used seal holders.

I'd post a wanted thread right now.

I agree with your concern that they will fail while working on the saw. I have found Husky plastic to be high quality...but, it certainly doesn't last forever.

Roy

Really having second thoughts. Right now there is black goo all over the saw indicating that there may be a leak, but it sure holds an idle excellent and does not need to constanty by tuned. I got it lean, but after backing both screws out just a bit fixed all issues.

I find old trimmers and blowers never needs crank seals. Probably due to the mere 7-8K RPMS max they spin. Saws however, I have bad luck with, almost all of them I wrench on at least needs a clutch side seal.

I think of black goo as more of a bar-oil thing.

I run some pretty old saws with what I think are original seals.

That part you need has "3-D Printer" written all over it.

So im at a point where I have ran 2 full tanks of fuel thru it, and there is no issues with it holding a tune. Idles forever, and I have it a little fat on the H needle. It does not have the appearance of a plated cylinder, or piston. To me it looks more like bare aluminum. This tells me this is kind of a low end saw, maybe not worth doing a complete tear down and rebuild with a new seals and ring.

Frankly the chassis reminds me of a poulan.

They are often compared to a Wild Thing but I have owned one for 10 plus years and often use it for light duty chores, it`s more than paid for itself in my construction trade. Nice light saw for plunge cutting out openings of any kind, for windows and doors, rough framing cuts and such.

Back