HUSKY 460 vs ECHO CS-590 easier to start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttershark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m new at posting to this site, so forgive me if this has been covered in a different thread. I have read complaints about the 590 being finicky about starting. Some say it arbitrarily acts up, but admittedly these complaints may be from new owners of a larger saw than they have used before. At what point should an older guy consider a smaller saw for dependable starting? My current sae is an ECHO CS-310, but I have a 40” diam. tree than has fallen on to my chainlink fence, and must surgically remove it. I figure I’ll remove it in chunks alternating with a rip chain for the horizontal cuts. Advice?

Any saw can be difficult to start if not started correctly, especially if you miss the kick on choke...after which every pull further floods it. I haven't had any issues starting either but the echo feels like a more put together saw to me.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that because Echo sells a lot of saws through big box stores to people with limited experience- it can impact reviews and feedback. People will let untreated ethanol fuel sit in the tank for 8-12 months and then blame hard starting on the saw.

The CS-590 is not an especially high compression or difficult to start saw. It has a decompression valve which makes it pretty easy to pull on. It is a lot of saw for the money though and sports a metal engine case.

I would opt for the Echo over this particular Husqvarna without hesitation. Once you go to top tier saws I would looks towards Husqvarna and Stihl options. It's my opinion that Echo leads on delivering quality and value in the lower price brackets (entry level and farm/ranch).

Keep in mind that because Echo sells a lot of saws through big box stores to people with limited experience- it can impact reviews and feedback. People will let untreated ethanol fuel sit in the tank for 8-12 months and then blame hard starting on the saw.

The CS-590 is not an especially high compression or difficult to start saw. It has a decompression valve which makes it pretty easy to pull on. It is a lot of saw for the money though and sports a metal engine case.

I would opt for the Echo over this particular Husqvarna without hesitation. Once you go to top tier saws I would looks towards Husqvarna and Stihl options. It's my opinion that Echo leads on delivering quality and value in the lower price brackets (entry level and farm/ranch).
If it weren't for the big job I have, I would opt for a 50cc saw as my next saw. The weight of a 60cc means I wont be using it very much around the yard. I plan to drain the fuel when it sits on the shelf, so that should make staring less complicated.

If that's the case- maybe consider renting a quality 70-80cc saw for the day and then buy the 50cc you want later? I'd want a 70+cc saw for dealing with a 40" tree anyway.

Generally one cuts the trunk into cylinder shaped rounds with length less than bar length. Then cut the rounds in pieces with the powerhead moving across the end of the cylinder. The milling chain is for when the powerhead would move along the bark.

I never dealt with the Echo mentioned here. The Husqvarna started quite well but put the choke on then off to set the high speed idle. If a saw will reliably start at idle that would be preferable.

I have a CS-590, CS-600P and CS-620PW and no problems starting them cold or hot. The CS-590 in particular has been flawless now for many years. I run a 24" bar on it and use it for felling. I actually took down 3 large Ash trees with it yesterday and cut them up and it never grumbled once.

If anyone wonders why I use it for taking down trees the answer is simple, it costs LESS to replace it than the 600P/620PW and these dead Ash can be tricky especially if they aren't leaning much. If I'm going to smash up a saw I can replace the CS-590 for around $325 shipped to the door.

I've noticed over the years that it doesn't matter what it is or how well it's made, IF you read feedback and ratings for anything, especially something as complex as a chainsaw, there will be a decent percentage of folks who will have problems with it. I'd also add that IMHO at least 95 if not 100 percent of those folks need to put the chainsaw down and go back to their "day job".......FWIW........Cliff

Chainsaws, women, and dentistry. You should learn something about these, before placing yourself in a situation, bearing responsibility for one.
N

That's for sure. IF you are stupid enough to loan out a chainsaw it will come back to you with the chain duller than your penis, loose, hanging off the bar, straight gassed or piss-poor quality fuel in the tank, and you'll be real lucky if they didn't pour gas in the oil tank and visa-versa.

Those same folks want to b*^#h about a saw they purchased not being a good product!.....LOL

I have a CS-590, CS-600P and CS-620PW and no problems starting them cold or hot. The CS-590 in particular has been flawless now for many years. I run a 24" bar on it and use it for felling. I actually took down 3 large Ash trees with it yesterday and cut them up and it never grumbled once.

If anyone wonders why I use it for taking down trees the answer is simple, it costs LESS to replace it than the 600P/620PW and these dead Ash can be tricky especially if they aren't leaning much. If I'm going to smash up a saw I can replace the CS-590 for around $325 shipped to the door.

Been there, done that to my first 066 mag.. Could of been using a smaller, much hated Husky and it would of made me happy to see it end up like that and gone, instead I was almost broke and stuck with it as my only saw and trying to earn some income cutting trees down. As God would have it, it did work out to my good. I started looking for fixer upper saws to get me going, learned to use the internet, started buying and selling, upgrading my chainsaw arsenal to cover about every need I have for them superbly.
O.p.,
Rental option sounds good, unless you prefer owning 3 or more chainsaws, which may or may not be more beneficial to you depending how much use you will have for them and your budget. If you buy used, and maintain them well there is usually little or no depreciation with quality saws. I find about any Stihl is easy to sell in a short time if its not over priced , most other brands specific models resell well should you want to buy something for the job and sell it when done to retrieve the money for something else.
When storing saws, i find running them out of fuel doesn't work as well as leaving them near full of fresh fuel. Non ethonal fuel last a very long time stored in a cool environment. I aim to and usually start my running saws not being used 3 to 6 months apart. I leave enough room in the tank I can add a dash of fresh fuel before starts to help maintain the fuel thats been in it. Ethonal fuel i would drain it every year and add fresh but it is easiar to buy and use non ethonal at least for storage purposes.

Latest posts

Back