Husky Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderBFarm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve followed this site for quite sometime now, and you guys have helped me purchase every saw I’ve ever bought starting with a Husky 51 up to a 372 XP, with that being said I’m stumped. I have about 15 large red oak logs to cut before my next load comes in so I went out with my 266xp and my new-to-me purchase 359. I haven’t run the 359 since I bought it used last month but I have periodically crunk it up to keep it fresh. I started with the 359 and cut about 3 logs and I sat the saw on the ground, to move wood around, and it cut off. Still plenty of gas in it, I pulled the cord and it wouldn’t start back. So I decided to pick up the 266 and keep right on kicking. I cut about 5 logs with it and it ran perfect. No hesitation, no bogging, like a dream. It started to sputter and I cut it off right before it ran out of fuel. I topped it off and it absolutely would not run again. I held the trigger wide open, choke off, and it would crank and run until I let off the throttle. It would not idle at all. The gas is fresh, spark plug brand new, the only thing is the 266 was last used in late June and I might’ve had a tad bit of fuel left in the tank. It not much.
I’m sure it’s something simple but I’m one of those guys that like to do stuff themselves, but I’m not that well versed in small engines. Thanks.

Try all the simple things first. Is there a spark? Even though the plug is new it could be faulty. What brand is the plug? Most members here will recommend NGK. Is the spark gap set correctly? Is the mesh in the muffler spark screen blocked? Is fuel getting to the cylinder? Is the air filter clean? Are the fuel lines in good condition or are they split? Is the fuel filter dirty and blocked?

+1 on the new fuel mix (& double checking your ratios), next would be check the filters in case some gunk was in the can... After that I'd be checking compression

Ok, I’ll check everything when I get a chance and see how it goes. I did dump out the fuel and use some pre-mix and it still didn’t help. Forgot to add that.

Sure sounds like fuel to me too. How hot was the day? Next morning, do they start right up?
You say the fuel was fresh. What does fresh mean? When was it bought, mixed, what oil, what ratio? How much was mixed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure sounds like fuel to me too. How hot was the day? Next morning, do they start right up?
You say the fuel was fresh. What does fresh mean? When was it bought, mixed, what oil, what ratio? How much was mixed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I pumped the gas that morning and then mixed it right before fueling up. I dumped that out yesterday while it was hot and tried pre mix, no dice. Then this morning I asked a customer of mine about it while he was in and we crunk it up just fine and he adjusted some on the carb. He didn’t do much. He said sometimes you have to tweak them occasionally. I haven’t had a chance to get it hot again yet, but I’ll update when I do. Thanks guys

There’s a winter carb adjustment and a summer carb adjustment. I find around late September early October the low speed screw needs balancing. The high speed screw is ok.

Sounds like they got too hot, was the chains sharp.... I mean sharp and cutting without leaning on them. I always use Aspen fuel and never a problem with that plus it can be left in the tank for years. It costs more but for me that is saving on wasted fuel and not having to worry its crap pump fuel going to cause problems. It's much cleaner

Sounds like they got too hot, was the chains sharp.... I mean sharp and cutting without leaning on them. I always use Aspen fuel and never a problem with that plus it can be left in the tank for years. It costs more but for me that is saving on wasted fuel and not having to worry its crap pump fuel going to cause problems. It's much cleaner
I watched a video on 359 carbs and They need to hold like at least 15lbs of pressure before they pop off (Needle valve) a warm saw might get contankerous for restarting , Just a thought ..

interesting thread, .... what does an over hot saw do which prevents starting ?

always up for learning 👍🏼

Back