Husqvarna 154 se stalls when brake is actuated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDee

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As soon as I click the brake, my trusty 154 dies. So I am looking for help, suggestions. Maybe the clutch bell is pushed off-center by the brake band? Also, the saw usually requires fast idle setting to restart when warm. Otherwise the saw is easy to start, cuts like crazy and idles well. It is tricky to adjust the idle slow enough to prevent the chain from notching forward. Could it just need a new clutch spring? All comments welcome. Thanks. Don

clutch spring more than likely, or a dirt build up between shoes and spider-a little grease on bearing

Stuck needle bearing in clutch bell.... Insufficient spacing between moving parts...clutch has to have some in and out play/movement on a shaft...

I suspect you may be right about the stuck needle bearing.

I bought a 42S off here over a year ago, sold as a good runner. It would run wild like bad clutch springs, then die when the brake was engaged. I shelved it but took a peek recently and found the needle bearing is basically one with the drum. Tried tapping it out with no success. Haven't changed the setup yet to determine.

Greasing the bearing solved all the the problems.

When I removed the brake, the clutch bell was easy to turn but not totally spinny free. I removed the clutch (cracking the flywheel air conductor in the process dogonit). The bearing looked and felt free. Using the bearing grease hole in the crankshaft I greased it heavily.

When I reassembled and started the saw it was way out of tune. After readjusting the jets the idle had to come down more than a full turn. And when the brake is applied the saw idles on and on. It also starts well and pulls strong. The only remaining problem? is that the high idle drops off without my touching the throttle -- not really an issue since it drops down a second or two after the saw starts, right when i would hit it anyway.

This saw is more than 30 years old.

Back