Husqvarna 240 Pic Request

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
My Bro-in-law just picked up a used Husqvarna 240 in pretty dang good shape. When he was cutting with it the chain got hot as all get out, and when I checked it for him, I discovered that the chain was getting no oil. But I noticed oil pooling along the front of the clutch cover when the saw was running.

Removed the clutch cover, bar and chain, and the metal chain guide and started the saw. Wanted to see where the oil was coming from. There is a hole in front of the bar studs that oil is pumping out of which I'm sure is not correct. Oil should be coming out of the black oil orifice that leads from the rear of the bar studs to the top, and feeds the bar and chain.

I need a pic of a 240 with the clutch cover off, bar and chain off, and metal guide plate removed so I can verify what is supposed to be in that hole. Or if someone can just tell me what is supposed to be there. I'm assuming there should be a screw in the hole, but not sure.

Thanks,

Gary

The only holes forward of the bar studs on a 240 should be the oil tank vent and the bucking spike bolt holes- if you go down a bit- the chain catcher- but willing to bet the vent is having an issue or two.
That makes sense... I didn't get a chance to look last night, but that hole being the bar oil tank vent is probably what is going on
I believe the only thing used on that vent hole is a cotter pin to block it loosely.
That seems like a weird way to vent a tank... lol
is this the 240 your looking pic for?
That is the saw in question, yes.

Gary

There are two completly different models of Husqvarna 240. The first older one is proffesional 240SE/SG made in late 70s and early 80s (Tomos made also Practica), and there is newer plastic model 240 that is not proffesional.
Which one do you have? It would be a lot easier if you post pics of your problem.
I have the older one and it is based on 40 chasis (140s, 240se/sg, 340se/sg, 44, 444se/sg)

There are two completly different models of Husqvarna 240. The first older one is proffesional 240SE/SG made in late 70s and early 80s (Tomos made also Practica), and there is newer plastic model 240 that is not proffesional.
Which one do you have? It would be a lot easier if you post pics of your problem.
I have the older one and it is based on 40 chasis (140s, 240se/sg, 340se/sg, 44, 444se/sg)
10-4... It is the newer plastic homeowners type 240. I know jack about Husqvarna sewing machine/saws. :laugh:

I'll try to get some pics up later on today or tomorrow.

Gary

10-4... It is the newer plastic homeowners type 240. I know jack about Husqvarna sewing machine/saws. :laugh:

I'll try to get some pics up later on today or tomorrow.

Gary

Shite, it's not even a real chainsaw!~ :p
Them modern plastic clammy 240's it probably has a tore up, stuck, blocked pump and pressure in the tank is taking the easiest route out- through the vent- which has possibly been compromised (damaged/missing) in the past.

Maybe you should check this
Lol... nah, that dude is "diagnosing" a problem... not the "problem" I have. Main prob with this saw is the crappy design in the first place.
Shite, it's not even a real chainsaw!~ :p
Them modern plastic clammy 240's it probably has a tore up, stuck, blocked pump and pressure in the tank is taking the easiest route out- through the vent- which has possibly been compromised (damaged/missing) in the past.
HAHAHA! My BIL got it for free, and he's never owned a saw before. So it's better he learns on this one and destroys it before we get him a different saw. ;)

Gary

Back