Husqvarna 254 and 257 chainbrake swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Do the Husqvarna metal chainbrake swap, part numbers 503747072 the 257 and 503747073 the 254. The only difference I see is that one came with the outer wear plate and the other didnt.

154, 254, 257, 261 and 262 are all the same cases, and the brakes will directly interchange.
My 254 and 262's are all plastic cover brakes, but the one 262 that does have an outer plate, doesn't have an inner.
I dont think the metal covers will swap with some cases. The metal cover has a pin that fits into a hole in the case. The older 254se doesnt have these holes.

I always forget about that part, the covers will interchange, but depending on the age of your cases, you may have to do some trimming on that pin, and possibly just above the tabs at the back where it contacts the case.
It's been a while since my dealer days, but I think there may have been a service bulletin on that.

I dont think the metal covers will swap with some cases. The metal cover has a pin that fits into a hole in the case. The older 254se doesnt have these holes.
Remove said pin and they work fine.

I have a 262 metal cover on one of my 254s.

They will swap but iirc there is a height difference to the flags, the 254 being a bit lower.
Hmm, I'll have to compare mine. I have three 254s, one with the 262 cover and brake flag.

Latest posts

Back