Husqvarna 257 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this hole in the case that leads to the bar oil tank.
1640468182940.png
It's empty and oil drips out. Seems like a part is missing but the IPL is so crude that I can't tell what is missing or what I could use as a stopgap. The saw will run and oil the bar OK if nothing is there because the bar covers the hole. Any ideas? Heck, maybe it's supposed to be open for air flow. TIA.

Can you pass a wire through it and see if comes through the oil vent tube inside the tank? That would be my guess, #27

1640470203579.png

Your missing a vent line. No longer available. I wonder if the stone filter in the gas tank handle from a 350 will fit?

About what diameter is that hole? Use a drill bit to find a size close. Maybe a vent tube for 136 or 141 series will fit snug?

Or find some fuel line/hose that fits in there snug. Get a roll pin, must be hallow, assortment and find a size to jam in the open end on the bar side.

The OEM tube is a hard plastic tube though to remain stiff, so it keeps the tube up towards the top inside the oil tank, hopefully in an air pocket. They did this to try and keep bar oil from pouring out of the vent on the bar side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163596383137?epid=17015601504&hash=item26171ab3a1:g:NVcAAOSw~bthTzv-

If you can get me the diameter of that hole, I will check it against 1 for a 141 I have here.
Sorry for the slow response, I measure just over 13/64" or 5.16 mm. What is supposed to be in that hole to keep it from dripping oil from out of the tank? Maybe just a short length of braided nylon might act like a cork (red neck solution).

Oops, you explained that in post #6. Looks like it got brittle and broke off. Maybe a 3" length of fuel line might work with a headless #6 machine screw, similar to a fuel tank vent. Seem reasonable? Just thinking...

I think it will work. May have to cut the length.... I don't know. 3/16 is pretty tight but 13/64 fits well. Plus, the roll pin seats in the tank hole tight to help seal it off. I use a punch, by hand, to seat the tube flush. Roll pin end faces bar mount side!

Attachments

• oil vent 1.jpg
    oil vent 1.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 7
  • oil vent 2.jpg
    oil vent 2.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 6
  • oil vent 3.jpg
    oil vent 3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 6
  • oil vent 5.jpg
    oil vent 5.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 5
  • oil vent 4.jpg
    oil vent 4.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 7
  • oil vent 6.jpg
    oil vent 6.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 7
Here's what I invented:
1640484285008.png
The screw is headless and inside a 2.5" long fuel line tube, right at the exit and flush. It's a press fit but not super tight. We may want to see how well this works. I'll use the saw tomorrow and report back. I have to wonder if there are some pieces of the old part inside the bar oil tank.

Cool beans. As long as air can enter the oil tank, all should be well. Factory tube does go underneath the inner bar plate tho. It should match up with a small channel maybe???? For constant air supply. Hope the bar don't choke it off. That is how it is setup on these little saws.

Give it run and see if it works.

I completed the trial run by cutting a little over a half truckload of green elm and some mulberry, all logs averaging about 10" dia. The bar and chain were oiled perfectly by the pump, perhaps a little too much. Expecting the worse, I had raised the oil flow screw up a half turn. While idling, there was some chain creep (a good sign) so there was good bar and chain lubrication. I thought about lowering the idling speed a tad but elected not to. No burn smoke appeared at any time.

I took the saw back to the bench and discovered that the engine used only a half-tank of fuel, as expected, but the bar oil almost went down a full tank. My shop-built oil tank vent was still intact and had not budged. I fished out the loose OEM tank vent and looked it over. It has a hole in the end piece to let a lot more air in than my shop-built vent. So, I have to ask, does my closed end that literally blocks the vent hole cause the pump to deliver more oil to the bar? Looks like it does, based on over an hour of run time.

Regardless, I have a working 257 saw that leaks no oil at all at rest or while running. I intend to cut the oil flow volume back to where it was with the OEM tank vent. I suppose I could remove mine and re-install the old one, but that seems pointless since it might slip through and into the tank again. Your thoughts?

Back