Husqvarna 268 identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wombat Ranger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a couple rough condition 268's, both with XP tops, but I am not sure what the serial suffixes indicate, since there were a few different 268 models through the years. Can anyone tell me what I have here? I understand parts may be changed around but I'd like to know what the saws were originally.

First saw, great runner, engine sounds healthy, real rough condition.
20211126_142711.jpg
20211126_142434.jpg
20211126_142451.jpg

Second saw, runs, engine sounds wore out and it doesn't make much power, cyl looks like it's been hot, not as bad of condition otherwise but still rough.

20211126_142703.jpg
20211126_142551.jpg
20211126_142631.jpg

I am debating whether to fix up both or make one good one out of the two. I also have a fairly nice grey top 61 that I use primarily for bucking I was thinking about putting the 268 top end on.

Thanks!

Others will know more- but what I see is the first saw is a 268SE- possibly not an XP..... but there were some cross-overs with badges and decals as the SE was superseded by the XP.
Second saw is a rarer 268XP-W- the W is for Western or West Coast- not for heated handles. I think they had a special tank with two moulded detents for the full wrap to mount to, the bar tails kind of overlap at the underside and fix with 4 bolts rather than the traditional 2.

Both saws are good enough to be built up on their own, plenty of other 268/272 bits kicking around to fit a new top end to your old 61- which won't be needed if you get one or both of these up and running.

I'd rebuild both of them
I'm liking the hyway 268 popup pistons in those
And a good muffler mod
Makes a good 24" bar saw.
As for serial numbers
I can't help
There's so many mismatched saws out there
I just got in a nice 268
That someone put a 266 topend on
You just have to check everything.

The 268 was never marketed as an SE, even though the tags said it, same as 266 XP's of the same era. Your XP is an 87, the W is an 88.

That W is not that common, the West coast denotes the full wrap, and that outer dog on your XP belongs to it too. It may have the HD filter setup too, but I'm not sure if that didn't come later.

As for the tank, I'm pretty sure they all ran a standard tank with a spacer block to pick up both sets of bolt holes with the full wrap.

The 268 was never marketed as an SE, even though the tags said it, same as 266 XP's of the same era. Your XP is an 87, the W is an 88.

That W is not that common, the West coast denotes the full wrap, and that outer dog on your XP belongs to it too. It may have the HD filter setup too, but I'm not sure if that didn't come later.

As for the tank, I'm pretty sure they all ran a standard tank with a spacer block to pick up both sets of bolt holes with the full wrap.

Told ya others would know more than me! :laugh:

Are these both closed port "XP" top ends then?

This W model did not have the outer dog on it when I got it, but at least it had a really worn out 28" bar on it which looked cool. These two saws came to me at different times from different places. The full wrap mounts to the bottom with a spacer and 2 bolts.

The SE has a chunk of the chassis/frame/whatever broken off, above the serial plate, but it doesn't appear to affect functionality. Big dent in front of muffler which caused the top cover to get burnt through, stuff like that.

Reason for wanting to pep up the 61 is that is in great condition, and I use it all the time. Going from a 61 to a 268/272 is easier with a donor parts saw, since it's more than just a top end swap (from what I understand, I've not done one). No I don't think I would need 3 seperate 268/272's but I can definitely use two. My 61 is mainly used for bucking and there's always use for more power there. It's had a 24" bar on it but I am going down to a 20 since I won't need it for any falling anymore.

These two are on the ragged edge of junk, though they're in usable shape which I guess is all that matters. Making one good one from the two would be easy enough though, using the W frame and SE engine.

After posting this I've gone though and quickly taken the good bits from the W and dressed out the SE with them. Full wrap, recoil that actually has a handle & rope, 24" bar & chain, and for the time being I'll use it as my falling saw. When I find time I'll get into the W saw and see what I can find.

These have been pretty well IDd for you… both early xp saws with the 88 being the west coast version. I am not certain about the Husky’s but the equivalent Jred cousins had some odd things besides just the full wrap handles in the west coast package. One being a different cyl base gasket which was thinner to reduce squish upping compression. I see little reason for the Husky versions to not have the same minor enhancements. Personally I would totally rebuild the 88 and since the 87 has case issues move that top end onto your 61 with a new piston…. I use Meteor but the guys have been saying the Hyway pop ups are solid but either way a new piston set is in order in the swap. The old 61 will never be the same!!!!

Yes, those should be closed port saws. I believe the 268 non XP came about in 91, at this point in time the saw sporting that open port 50mm cylinder was the 66.

I second the motion to rebuild the XPW, and if the XP's case issues are bothersome swap it's top end over to the 61.

I don't see anything that sticks out about the XPW in the IPL's outside of what we have already mentioned, but, curiously the IPL's don't have a part number for the base gasket at all.

Thank you all for the info. The W saw will certainly get the priority treatment, I need a hot rod falling saw so that's what I'll try to do with it.

What size bar would a 1988 268XPW have been available with? I have procured an OEM 272xp cylinder and am awaiting it's arrival. I am going to try to find time to completely tear down and rebuild this XPW soon (with the 272 cyl), and I am wondering how well it will be able to pull a 28" bar? Or even a 32"? I cut softwoods.

What size bar would a 1988 268XPW have been available with? I have procured an OEM 272xp cylinder and am awaiting it's arrival. I am going to try to find time to completely tear down and rebuild this XPW soon (with the 272 cyl), and I am wondering how well it will be able to pull a 28" bar? Or even a 32"? I cut softwoods.

Only guessing- but my guess would be they were on the shelf wearing 24"bars and 3/8 chain.
But yes, capable of running a 28"happily enough in softwood and probably a 32"but the 32"might be a bit better with skip sequence chain and be sure your oil pump is in top condition and maximum flow.

Back