Husqvarna 268 won’t start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdocktor3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I did my research first I promise. I got the saw for $20 as it wouldn’t start for previous owner. Thought it’d be an easy fix. It’s not. It’s clean, so someone worked on it. Drained all old gas first and foremost and let it dry out all morning. Fuel wasn’t old, but still did it. Coil, plug and wire appear new. Tried 3 different plugs. It has spark with all. Air filter, fuel filter and hose all new. Pulled carb and cleaned it. All gaskets still good. I adjusted tuning screws on carb. Pulled flywheel off and checked the key. That’s clean and intact, possibly also new. Disconnected kill switch. Pulled cylinder off. Piston, ring, cylinder clean. Compression held at 155 psi. Sprayed starting fluid in cylinder and carb still nothing. Only one time did it show a sign of life and that was after the compression test. I can’t remember, but I think it was the first pull after compression test it sounded like it wanted to start. Is that a sign?

I hate to be brief but try a new carb.
I could, but I feel it would/should have fired when I put starting fluid in the throat and cylinder. Am I wrong?

I mean, I didn’t try it just once. Many times throughout the day today.

Yes, you are right. Fuel wise, about the only other thing left is the intake manifold and seal at the cylinder that is creating a major air leak. You already said that you pulled the cylinder and piston. It is possible that the air leak is there at the manifold connection and/or the parts that connect to the carb. That's about all I can think of without getting into electrical failure of some sort.

Stop using starting fluid. Use a shot of mix. How are you checking for spark at the plugs - grounding the plug with a jumper wire? Have you disconnected the wire to the kill switch at the coil or the switch?
I have a Lisle spark tester. I disconnected kill switch at coil.

Yes, you are right. Fuel wise, about the only other thing left is the intake manifold and seal at the cylinder that is creating a major air leak. You already said that you pulled the cylinder and piston. It is possible that the air leak is there at the manifold connection and/or the parts that connect to the carb. That's about all I can think of without getting into electrical failure of some sort.
So the lip of the thick rubber seal was folded over a bit abnormally. I will order a replacement and see if that helps.

Back