Husqvarna 340 crankshaft bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the crank is free to move a little bit. But bolting the cylinder down creates a little bit of a load on the bearings and seems to hold the crank in place. You could also Loctite the crank to the inner races to hold them where you wanted. Make sure you put a bit of sealant all the way around the rubber on the seals and onto the case when you stick it all together
When I took it apart, I saw that one lobe had ben grinding against the case. So that was the previous owners mistake? About 0,5 to 1 mm had melted , but I got it cleaned up.

Probably not so much a mistake, it’s just where the crank had slid to and was rubbing the side of the case. Could’ve been from removing the clutch or flywheel at one time if they were tapping the crank

Probably not so much a mistake, it’s just where the crank had slid to and was rubbing the side of the case. Could’ve been from removing the clutch or flywheel at one time if they were tapping the crank
Thanks! I'll put the order in for the missing bearing covers and loctite the races to the crank. I'll let you all know if it was a succesful salvage operation :)

You can also use an engraver or a centre punch to put a little bit of keying around the crank where the bearing sits... just enough to keep the bearings located & then assemble with bearing retaining compound as mentioned. You need to have enough friction between the crank & bearing that it won't spin inside of the bearing, or the crank shaft will wear resulting in an air leak.
I have seen some of the home handyman variety of husqvarna derived saws that have exhibited this issue with all oem parts & very few hours on them

True that....!
2 months ago I refurbished my Partner 351 saw (poulan 2x50, husq 36/136... clone)

It has 6201 bearings.....thats why I miss-asumed that they are common in 40ccm platforms....

Back