Husqvarna 345 crank movement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have rebuilt a Husqvarna 345, new seals, bearings etc
I now have quite considerable sideways crank play, I can move the crank sideways in the crankcase, my 350 doesn't do this.
I assume this is not right and how do I go about fixing it?, does this mean I have to replace the bearings or crank?. Can I use some sort of locking compound on the bearings (locktite) to keep them on the crank?.

I also am having trouble keeping it running.
It will fire up on choke and run at fast idle, blip the throttle to bring it down to normal idle and it dies, keep revving the saw and it will run but die after (say) 30 seconds no matter how much throttle input.
I have vacuum/pressure tested for leaks and none found, have pressure/vacuum tested the carb and that proved ok, have fitted new diaphragms/needle etc, have fitted another carb from a running 350 and no change, I have tried various fuel filters, spark plugs, checked fuel lines and have put ultragrey on the inlet manifold (making sure the impulse port wasn't blocked.
Cheers

This has the same upper cylinder adapter as the 350. This adapter is warped on both sides. How long does it hold pressure in the case?

This has the same upper cylinder adapter as the 350. This adapter is warped on both sides. How long does it hold pressure in the case?
This model doesn't have the cylinder adapter, the cylinder bolts directly to the plastic crankcase. Before I fitted the cylinder I made sure surfaces were flat and true.
It held pressure as long as I wanted.

I wonder if we an shim the crank to the bearing? Measure the crank with bearing width then measure the crankcase inside width.

The Husqvarna bearings I ended up getting were already seated in the seals and there was about 1/16" to 1/8" of the bearings stuck out past the inner edge of the seals.
That's pretty much what I have done, stripped the saw down again and adjusted the bearings in the seals to suit and now have the crank snug in the case.

Thought I best update
As per my comment above I readjusted the bearings in the seals and had a snug fitting crank (thanks to Clyde85).
Put everything together and it still didn't run/well.
I re went over everything I did and noticed cracking in the fuel line (that I missed before) as I was refitting the line to the carb.
AHA i found the problem!, snipped off the offending part and fitted the line to the carb and the saw RUN, and with some minor adjustments it run well.
The customer is happy with it, they wanted a smaller bar/chain fitted so fitted a 16" bar/chain for them.
So all in all I should have checked the fuel line first....

How did you press the bearings back out of the seals?
I used a snug fitting socket through the seal and that contacted the inner race of the bearing, then I used the vice and opened the jaws just enough to contact the outer shell of the seal and then gently tapped the bearing out enough to where the bearings and crank were a snug fit in the crankcase...

Back