husqvarna 350 vs 450

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You pretty much had it right in this poQUOTE=spike60st. The 450 is a replacement for the discontinued 350. But they are two completely different saws. The 450 is a clean sheet design and shares absolutely nothing with the 350.

spike60; You are very correct, they are not the same saw, 450 is a stratofied engine with a total new design. The model number simply means it is a 4th generation 50cc saw, if a saw changes drastically it is a new generation saw. Thats like saying the 455 Rancher is the same saw as a 55 Rancher (NO WAY).
NYHuskyguy: Get your information correct prior to posting, there are 2 many knowledgeable Husqvarna people on this site that will correct you if you try to spew BS.

BTWThe only thing these two saws share in model numbers is the close proximity to 50cc. also as previously mentioned spark plug and fuel-oil caps.

What??????????

Sorry, but this is not even remotely close to being an accurate post. It is incorrect and very misleading. The 450 and 350 are two completely different saws, not different generations of the same saw. What were the first and second generations?

The only parts these saws share are the fuel caps and the spark plug. Everything else is different. Tanks, handles, flywheel, oil pump, starter, coil, carb, piston and cylinder, muffler, crankcase........Everything.

spike60; You are very correct, they are not the same saw, 450 is a stratofied engine with a total new design. The model number simply means it is a 4th generation 50cc saw, if a saw changes drastically it is a new generation saw. Thats like saying the 455 Rancher is the same saw as a 55 Rancher (NO WAY).
NYHuskyguy: Get your information correct prior to posting, there are 2 many knowledgeable Husqvarna people on this site that will correct you if you try to spew BS.

BTWThe only thing these two saws share in model numbers is the close proximity to 50cc. also as previously mentioned spark plug and fuel-oil caps.

:agree2:

:agree2:

Very well said! :clap::clap:

Last edited:
I don't know much about this thread, but at our local TSC store they still have the same label on the shelf, it says 350/450/Landowner, same price, and same "basic" description. I would imagine if I wondered over to Lowe's I'll see the same thing.

Neither one of those saws is overly popular in these parts, and I've never had the opportunity to test or work on either one. On occassion I'll see a 455, which seems to be a decent saw, although not overly impressive anyplace (seems a bit heavy/cumbersome for 55cc), IMHO.

They also rate the saws at TSC by homeowner/landowner/professional. The only one rated as a "professional" model is the 359, and I've NEVER seen one on the shelf there. There is alway at least one 455 and plenty of the orange Poulan's.

I made the mistake of buying an orange Poulan on clearance a few years ago, pretty sure it was a 141 or 142, doesn't matter, because it was POS at every level, and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough!.......Cliff

Neither one of those saws is overly popular in these parts, and I've never had the opportunity to test or work on either one. On occassion I'll see a 455, which seems to be a decent saw, although not overly impressive anyplace (seems a bit heavy/cumbersome for 55cc), IMHO. ...

You sure got that right - I believe the 450 is a much better option!

What??????????

Sorry, but this is not even remotely close to being an accurate post. It is incorrect and very misleading. The 450 and 350 are two completely different saws, not different generations of the same saw. What were the first and second generations?

The only parts these saws share are the fuel caps and the spark plug. Everything else is different. Tanks, handles, flywheel, oil pump, starter, coil, carb, piston and cylinder, muffler, crankcase........Everything.

Ok hold on here. They are the same. They ARE 3rd and 4th generation saws. I will say this once and them I am done discussing this! The 450 replaced the 350. The 350 was introduced prior to even the E-tech engines. When it went out, it was given the E-tech. Considering the 450 has the X-torq I would think that it would be obvious that they are not identical.

Instead of hanging on every word in efforts to seek an argument, realize that I am/was trying to help. Obviously they are different, or else what would be the point in replacing one or the other. Obviously they have different internals, umm this is the idea of having new technology.

Now, to all trying to express that they are an authority. Try calling Husky support dealer tech services so that you can go ahead and get the SAME information that I just wrote (and previously wrote), instead of trying to prove how much of a know it all you are.

Thanks.

-Kevin

Ok hold on here. They are the same. They ARE 3rd and 4th generation saws. I will say this once and them I am done discussing this! The 450 replaced the 350. The 350 was introduced prior to even the E-tech engines. When it went out, it was given the E-tech. Considering the 450 has the X-torq I would think that it would be obvious that they are not identical.

Instead of hanging on every word in efforts to seek an argument, realize that I am/was trying to help. Obviously they are different, or else what would be the point in replacing one or the other. Obviously they have different internals, umm this is the idea of having new technology.

Now, to all trying to express that they are an authority. Try calling Husky support dealer tech services so that you can go ahead and get the SAME information that I just wrote (and previously wrote), instead of trying to prove how much of a know it all you are.

Thanks.

-Kevin

Kevin;

If you believe everything that Husky Tech Support says as Gospel, you have your head up your :censored: furthur than I thought!

:sucks:

Thanks.

-Kevin

Gospel no, authority yes.

Regardless who tells that story, he or she got the facts wrong - or worse, .....

One simple issue; If that story was true - there should be a 4th generation of pro saws as well, shouldn't it?

And repeating a question, which saws were the first and second generation of the 350 and 450? ...and did the model numbers start with 1 and 2?

To answer my own question, the first one was the 49, and it was replaced directly by the 350 - never a one or two as first digit.

Third, there were both 3xx and 4xx pro models in the 1970s (380, 480) - back then what you are saying actually was true in most cases (improved versions of the same basic design), and there were a few cases in the 1980s, but it hasn't happened since with Swedish made Huskys!

These days, a new first number reflects a totally new design, not just a new version.

Last edited:

Thanks.

-Kevin

One of the great things about America is that a person has the freedom to believe anything they want. :cheers:

I bought my very first saw ever just a few weeks ago... a Husky 450. I actually went in wanting to look at a 346XP - the dealer wouldn't even show me one. He told me it was completely over rated and over priced... Instead, he showed me a 445... I was bummed. My buddy had just bought a 445 and I wanted something to bigger and faster... I ended up with a 450 (no "-e") w/ 18" bar.

I love it. Of course I don't really have anything else to compare it to, except my buddy's new 445 w/ 16" bar and my other buddy's older Stihl 290 w/ 18".

I have been helping a friend clear some big cedars- I've only cut my first cord so far, but man I LOVE this saw.... I got the bug bad now. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Have fun,cose I sure love mine,done about 20 odd hours with mine and cant fault it,dont know what the neg feed about the tool less tensoner is about,as a home user,cant fault it.Have fun and well done on your purchase.:chainsaw::clap::chainsaw:
p.s,must add over here in NZ my local Husky dealer was a bit of a **** too..

I was looking to get a Husky 350 and came across this review from a "prochainsaw" website- "The original Husqvarna 350 chainsaw was a vertical plate saw that had a wood-powered muffler. A shaft from these 350 Husqvarna chainsaws was attached to the top of the chainsaw’s motor housing, powered by a push-button. Muzzle power could be turned on and off using a crank handle. When the chain drive is muzzled, the cutting power in the saw could be increased by pumping in more oil or grease through the muffler’s port. The second model used a chain-driven chain and had no muffler. Instead of a crank handle, you had to turn a handle with your foot. The second version’s power source was a chain wheel and the same process for changing out oil as for changing out the exhaust. You could increase or decrease the chain’s speed and cut more material with the same machine."
Now, I really want one to see exactly how they work.

I was looking to get a Husky 350 and came across this review from a "prochainsaw" website- "The original Husqvarna 350 chainsaw was a vertical plate saw that had a wood-powered muffler. A shaft from these 350 Husqvarna chainsaws was attached to the top of the chainsaw’s motor housing, powered by a push-button. Muzzle power could be turned on and off using a crank handle. When the chain drive is muzzled, the cutting power in the saw could be increased by pumping in more oil or grease through the muffler’s port. The second model used a chain-driven chain and had no muffler. Instead of a crank handle, you had to turn a handle with your foot. The second version’s power source was a chain wheel and the same process for changing out oil as for changing out the exhaust. You could increase or decrease the chain’s speed and cut more material with the same machine."
Now, I really want one to see exactly how they work.
Lol! 13 yr old thread, and can't wait to see the comments!

I have worked on a 450 owned by someone else. I own a pair of 350's and a 353. I would take all three of mine over the 450 that I worked on, especially the 353. It is seldom that I ever disagreed with SawTroll, but in this case I fear that I have no choice. Mine have no optional primer bulb because that was my choice. These saws keep going and going and going...

I have worked on a 450 owned by someone else. I own a pair of 350's and a 353. I would take all three of mine over the 450 that I worked on, especially the 353. It is seldom that I ever disagreed with SawTroll, but in this case I fear that I have no choice. Mine have no optional primer bulb because that was my choice. These saws keep going and going and going...
Yep!

Back