Husqvarna 351 build Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullittman281

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
Its been a long while since I've been here but I have some questions on resurrecting a Husky 351. I always work on Stihl stuff and I'm WAY out of my element as this is the first Husky I've ever messed with.
The saw is supper clean and looks to be supper low hours. The bottom barley has any scratches on it. For what ever reason it mulched the top end. There is a big ole scratch from top to bottom on the exhaust side. No fixing this one. I'm assuming it was lean but its hard to say. Most of the piston damage was on the intake side, so I have no idea. Obviously there is some detective work to figure out why it killed it self and to fix it.

The first question I have is on pricing for Husky parts. I'm seeing what are advertised as OEM cylinders and pistons for ~$120. Are these genuine or did I miss something?? The original one is a Mahle. Stihl prices are stupid compared to that. Tomorrow I'll stop by a Husky dealer and double check. I think there is one close.

The next big question is which top end. I see noise about either a larger big bore or a 346xp or a 346xp new edition top end. I'm fuzzy on whether or not this saw is a candidate for that top end or exactly which top end that is specifically. Is this evhttps://www.baileysonline.com/husqvarna-544-14-29-07-oem-piston-cylinder-assembly-44mm-for-346-xp-chainsaws-544142907.htmlen worth doing and hunting down or just return to stock??
Is this what I'm looking for: https://www.baileysonline.com/husqv...mbly-44mm-for-346-xp-chainsaws-544142907.html

Let me know what you guys think.

Ultimately I'm trying to put together or find the perfect firewood saw. Good luck I know.
I've got an old 039 rebuilt from smashed junk and a Meteor piston but the piston has some odd wear already and the saw is a toad. It needs to go......
I've also got an MS291. I really like this saw but it has a wounded top end and is still plastic crap.
A fella a work gave me a dead MS360 that I put a Meteor top end on but its got A LOT of time on the rest of the saw and it shows. The thing is kind of a toad as well. NOTHING like the newer 361's at work.
Last is an old 026. Tired, runs good otherwise. The oil pump on these always go and it makes a mess idling. The power is unremarkable.
Would the Husky 351 be an improvement over any of these and be worth fixing or am I barking up the wrong tree. I'm open to advice.

Thanks!!!!

Bullittman

Yes that 346xp top end should bolt right on, but you should probably leave out the base gasket because the stroke is .5 mm shorter on the 351 than the 346xp. This top end will give you around a half horse more power.
The 346xp NE is actually 44.3 mm bore, not 44 mm as in Bailey's description.

Parts ordered.......

Thanks for the link!!!!!

Everything I see indicates this kit includes a piston. The description is a bit vague. I guess in a week I will find out. If it does include a piston that is the deal of deals!!!.

Any thoughts on how this will stack up against some of the other saws I've listed??

Bullittman

Parts ordered.......

Thanks for the link!!!!!

Everything I see indicates this kit includes a piston. The description is a bit vague. I guess in a week I will find out. If it does include a piston that is the deal of deals!!!.

Any thoughts on how this will stack up against some of the other saws I've listed??

Bullittman
It should include the piston, of the saws you listed I've only ran my ported 360 so I won't be much help.

Back