Husqvarna 353 to 346XP Change

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another thread (do I need a new saw?) got me thinking...dangerous, I know, I know.

I have a 2005 model year 353. The ID tag says 967 07 56-00. 05 0900XXX. It's an "EPA" model but the EPA cat muffler was removed and replaced with a non-EPA muff. Muff has also been modded with an additional port. It's been a good saw but the last time out, it was sputtering a bit. It may be time for a carby kit. In the previously mentioned thread, the idea was brought up about putting a 346XP piston/cylinder on the 353 bottom-end. OK...I did a bit of poking around, and I can buy OEM 346XP piston/cylinder kits between $115 and $130 give-or-take. There are New Edition (NE) models with a bit more displacement than the original version. My questions for you Husky experts:

- Which Piston/Cylinder Kit will work with my 353 bottom-end?
- Is there any reason to go with the NE vs original for additional displacement?
- Will a 346 top end really do anything for the saw or am I just throwing money on tinkering?

Other than a P/C kit and bottom gasket, what will I need?

Thanks.

JQ

Well a good running 353 is a fine saw. A a step between the 350 and 346. If you can get the 353 running well, I see no need to add a 346 P+C. Unless you want a high revving strong saw. I have both the OE and NE and guess I'd go with the NE, if there's option. Either P+C is a direct bolt on aas the 353 is a split case saw and not a clamshell.. Be sure to replace the plastic intake boot clamp with a metal one.

I just built a 350 with the same 45mm cylinder as the 353 and put the Hyway popup piston for the 353 in it. I'm super pleased with the added performance. I also did a gasket delete, and got a .023 squish.

I dont want to try to change your mind or anything but just saying.
I replaced used 346XP NE cylinder to my 2005 353G couple years ago.
I can say it is totally different saw now. Only modifications are chinese pipe style muffler for bit less exhaust restriction and HDA 154 carb for easier tune.
Just lovely to use it now.
No noticeable difference in power compared to CS2253 either.
So if you get 346xp NE cylinder kit for reasonable price, take it and replace it .

Back