Husqvarna 359 bar/chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlillie87

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a 359 etech today for $200 without a bar. I bought a 20 inch bar for the 455 rancher, because that's what the guy told me the saw was. It doesnt fit so I'm looking at bar and chain recommendations for the 359. What thickness chain runs well on these, .050 or .058. It looks like I can get the .058 bar a little cheaper. I've been looking into the saw, and might be porting it to get a few more umphs out of it. I'm not a pro, will probably run the saw few - several times a month.

Attachments

• 20210428_145117.jpg
    20210428_145117.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210428_145454.jpg
    20210428_145454.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210428_145955.jpg
    20210428_145955.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 13
Also, just out of curiosity, did I get effed on the deal. The guy posted it as a 455 rancher, didn't come with a bar but does have a chain (no clue what size other than 20"). It runs, but havent been able to do anything since the bar and chain dont match. I'll tear into it tomorrow and get a better idea of what kind of shape it's in. But overall, a359 etech with no bar for $200, ok deal?

I didn't even think to look at the saw label to see if it was a 455 like the guy said, I found out when I put the bar and chain on

Is the 455 Rancher not K095 mount as well?
Did whoever sell you the bar sell you the correct bar for a 455?

Use the gauge of chain that is most common to your area/dealers. I am guessing that will be 3/8" 0.050, sometimes 0.058 can be hard to find in the States and 0.050 is far more common.
As long as the drive sprocket is 3/8", you match the groove of the bar to the chain- you can run 0.050, 0.058, or 0.063- you just need to match the chain to the bar rail groove.
3/8 on that saw usually requires 72 drive links for a 20"bar. Count the drive links of the chain you have.

Use the gauge of chain that is most common to your area/dealers. I am guessing that will be 3/8" 0.050, sometimes 0.058 can be hard to find in the States and 0.050 is far more common.
As long as the drive sprocket is 3/8", you match the groove of the bar to the chain- you can run 0.050, 0.058, or 0.063- you just need to match the chain to the bar rail groove.
3/8 on that saw usually requires 72 drive links for a 20"bar. Count the drive links of the chain you have.
It is definitely the correct bar for a 455. The chain is really tight in the rail and the saw won't spin it. The chain also doesnt seem to match with the sprocket on the tip of the bar.

Attachments

• 20210428_155620.jpg
    20210428_155620.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Okay, sounds like you have a mismatch of drive components.
You need to pull the clutch and confirm the drive sprocket is 3/8 inch preferably 7 tooth not 8.
You need to measure over 3 rivets of the chain you have and divide by 2 to confirm it is 3/8 (I am suspecting it is .325 and so possibly is the drive sprocket).
Then you need to read the stampings on your shiny new bar to see what pitch and gauge that is.

Okay, sounds like you have a mismatch of drive components.
You need to pull the clutch and confirm the drive sprocket is 3/8 inch preferably 7 tooth not 8.
You need to measure over 3 rivets of the chain you have and divide by 2 to confirm it is 3/8 (I am suspecting it is .325 and so possibly is the drive sprocket).
Then you need to read the stampings on your shiny new bar to see what pitch and gauge that is.
Ok that makes sense
In that case- you probably have a 3/8 chain, 3/8 drive sprocket and a .325 bar- that combination do not work.
Yea looks like it. I'll confirm tomorrow when I pull it apart. Which would you recommend I go with? I assume I could just change the drive sprocket to .325 and keep this bar. Or the other way around. I'm a rookie and had no clue it was this involved lol

You can set it up with either- I prefer 3/8", but I ask a lot more of my own 2159 than most people and what it was designed for.
You decide on .325 or 3/8- but replace everything new- don't run old chains and drive sprockets on new bars, old chains on new drive sprockets etc. The worn part will accelerate wear on the new parts.
If going .325 I might suggest an 8 tooth drive sprocket would suit the saw better than a 7.

Take it to a shop, ask them what you need.

In that case- you probably have a 3/8 chain, 3/8 drive sprocket and a .325 bar- that combination do not work.

You can set it up with either- I prefer 3/8", but I ask a lot more of my own 2159 than most people and what it was designed for.
You decide on .325 or 3/8- but replace everything new- don't run old chains and drive sprockets on new bars, old chains on new drive sprockets etc. The worn part will accelerate wear on the new parts.
If going .325 I might suggest an 8 tooth drive sprocket would suit the saw better than a 7.

Take it to a shop, ask them what you need.
Thank you.

I bought a 359 etech today for $200 without a bar. I bought a 20 inch bar for the 455 rancher, because that's what the guy told me the saw was. It doesnt fit so I'm looking at bar and chain recommendations for the 359. What thickness chain runs well on these, .050 or .058. It looks like I can get the .058 bar a little cheaper. I've been looking into the saw, and might be porting it to get a few more umphs out of it. I'm not a pro, will probably run the saw few - several times a month.
Welcome to A.S.!

The Husqvara 359 is a good saw, and could be a good deal, if it is in good condition. It is a bit larger, more powerful, and heavier than the 455 Rancher:

Weight5.50 kg.
Engine power3.90 HP
Engine power2.90 kW
Cylinder displacement59.00 cc.

Engine Specification
Displacement(cc)55.5cc
Power3.5 hp
Maximum Power Speed9000 rpm
Dimensions
Weight (lbs.)12.8 pounds

A lot of Husqvara saws come with .058 gauge chains, but it is up to you, and what is available in your area. If you buy online, you can pretty much get whatever you want.

Show us a photo of your drive sprocket? That might need replacing too, in which case, you can change the pitch of your chain too, at no additional cost.

Here is a related thread on it:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-359.153972/
Philbert

As Bob says, it will run either pitch fine. For pitch (3/8, .325, 3/8 LoPro, etc) saw sprocket/spur, chain, & bar (if a sprocket tip) MUST all match. For guage (.050, .058, .063) chain & bar need to match.
Picks of any markings on the chain & of other parts mentioned may help us make better suggestions.
I'd be happy to have the 359, as would most here I think.
Pull the muffler & check piston for any damage. Check clamp on intake boot as the plastic ones are known to come loose & that can distroy your saw (there's an updated metal clamp).
I prefer my 357XP with an 18" bar.
Welcome to AS :)

As Bob says, it will run either pitch fine. For pitch (3/8, .325, 3/8 LoPro, etc) saw sprocket/spur, chain, & bar (if a sprocket tip) MUST all match. For guage (.050, .058, .063) chain & bar need to match.
Picks of any markings on the chain & of other parts mentioned may help us make better suggestions.
I'd be happy to have the 359, as would most here I think.
Pull the muffler & check piston for any damage. Check clamp on intake boot as the plastic ones are known to come loose & that can distroy your saw (there's an updated metal clamp).
I prefer my 357XP with an 18" bar.
Welcome to AS :)

That one should already have the metal clamp- being a later model EPA green fuel cap cat muffler type one?

That one should already have the metal clamp- being a later model EPA green fuel cap cat muffler type one?
Well spotted, I glanced over the pic's & missed that...
Further to my previous post I'll add gut the muffler if you take it off (or replace with a non cat one), pull the limiter caps & re-tune the saw.
Happy choppin

Pull the muffler & check piston for any damage. Check clamp on intake boot as the plastic ones are known to come loose

. . . gut the muffler if you take it off (or replace with a non cat one), pull the limiter caps & re-tune the saw.
He’s still trying to figure out the right bar and chain.

Philbert

Well spotted, I glanced over the pic's & missed that...
Further to my previous post I'll add gut the muffler if you take it off (or replace with a non cat one), pull the limiter caps & re-tune the saw.
Happy choppin
Yep everyone says to swap the muffler and port and polish maybe. I'm in school for small engine repair. So I may just turn this into a fun project. Thank you!

I think if the saw is in good shape, you did OK at $200.....In my opinion a much better saw then the 455. I run 3/8 Oregon full chisel chain ....050.....on a Husqvarna bar and a 7 tooth sprocket and like that combo. Mine is stock with a Hyway popup and gasket delete and runs very strong. In my neck of the woods, a clean 359 with really nice bar and chain is at least $325

Latest posts

Back