Husqvarna 359 Project or Pass?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Local 359 looks pretty clean but seller says its starting to bog when on its side. I've only done a full rebuild on a clamshell (350). How difficult is a seal change on a 359? Any special tools needed? I'm thinking this saw does not have a pressed-on oil pump gear, but is more like the 350 that is driven by the clutch through a plastic slip-on worm?

Seller is asking $160. May need a clamp upgrade. I always assume a carb rebuild. And of course seals. If the job requires special tools I'm probably not into it.

Thanks,
Chilly

Offer $80 and settle for $100, if everything else checks out.

I have a blown 359 waiting for me at a client's house whenever I get around to scheduling them in.

No idea on the parts you asked about.

Possibly THE best saw in class for the era of which they were released ( in my opinion, the 357XP was a little more niche) - certainly worth repairing, still a very capable almost 60cc saw.

Asking price might be a little high, especially if whatever is causing the bog has lead to piston scoring already- but that is based on what I would offer here and US$160 converts to around $260 of my $.

Any special tools needed? Not really, most can be gotten past and worked around. You can buy a special tool for seating oil seals, or use a bit of old film negative/pop or beer can and a deep socket. Seals are as easy to replace as any other magnesium cased saw- but perhaps not as easy as a bolt together clamshell.

Oil pump is clutch bell driven and not a gear pressed onto the crank stub for constant delivery and is adjustable for flow.

If you own all the tools to get a 350 apart, you can do the same to a 359- oil seal seating is all that will differ really and as above- can be worked around rather than buying speciality tools for a one off build.
If it still has the plastic manifold clamp- very easy to upgrade to a metal band yourself.

Go see the saw, pull the muffler and check the piston, then start haggling based on what you see.

Messaged an offer, explained in detail the work his saw required, he replied in a jerky way and blocked me. 😬😝

Let me guess. The seller says it "just needs carb work"?

There is a guy selling a 359 locally in such condition. It has been for sale for a long time. Usually if it was easy or that simple they would do it themself.

Most used saws need carb work. When the guy put in the add that it bogs when sideways I’d say he knows the cause, and what is required to fix. But he may hook an uninformed buyer at his asking price, which is a shame. Someone will burn up a serviceable saw.

Ita worth the $160.00 even needing seals. They are dead dependable with a metal intake clamp added and stupid easy to work on. Not the most powerful 60cc saw, but they run near forever. Still have one as a backup saw, even if I only run it to keep it running. Never held a prayer to the 562xp, but dependable with an 18-20" bar.

Someone else can have it for $160. I’m not without saws, and another project is far from a need. Have to fix a motorcycle, finish an old Jeep resto-mod, fix rear tine bearings on my Troy Bilt, get the Gravely running, fix a hub on the Ramcharger and brake line on the commuter turd-box.

Someone else can have it for $160. I’m not without saws, and another project is far from a need. Have to fix a motorcycle, finish an old Jeep resto-mod, fix rear tine bearings on my Troy Bilt, get the Gravely running, fix a hub on the Ramcharger and brake line on the commuter turd-box.
Put it on yer schedule for the end of next week , When ya have all the other "Stuff" done.

Back