Husqvarna 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobsterlogger

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
New to the forum so a thanks in advance. I have used it for years but just joined. Question I am going to throw at you is about 2 almost identical 359. And I am more than a homeowner when it comes to saws. I cut wood 3 or 4 months per year up here in Maine when I am not lobstering. Not serious cutting but mess around a lot when the weather allows. Question is how can 1 of my 359 saws scream and the other just kind of lag a bit. Both are 18 inch 3/8 chain. Both have the less restrictive mufflers from Wolf Creek saw shop. They both run perfect but one is a killer in the cut and the other you really cant' lean into all that much. One is a 2005 and the other a 2008. I don't mess with carbs too too much, but one has limiters and the other does not. The one that has the limiters is the slower saw. Is it that simple? Should I remove the limiters and mess with the high screw to get that one a screamer as well? I am not nuts about messing with and screwing up the saw. Pic will show the 2 carbs. Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

• 20210404_201427.jpg
    20210404_201427.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210404_201333.jpg
    20210404_201333.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
(The 359 is a good saw.) There's just a bunch of things that can account for a saw not living up to its potential. Start with a compression test. Check the spark plug. Etc. The air filter could be gummed up. The fuel filter could be faulty. Could be bad crank seals. There's just a ton of stuff. The better mechanics should be by soon.

One thing about having two saws is that you can exchange parts between them for testing. If you suspect the spark plug in one saw, try it in the other.

2 identical machines rolling off the assembly line one right after the other will not be identical never mind those which are years apart. If they are healthy they should be pretty close, but definitely different.

learn how to tune. It's easy. It's a simple procedure which, if done correctly in sequence only takes a minute or two (only seconds if you are familiar). The majority of the youtube videos are entertaining rubbish, the blind leading the blind.

try "small engine saloon", "buckin billy ray" and several others for good tutorials.

New to the forum so a thanks in advance. I have used it for years but just joined. Question I am going to throw at you is about 2 almost identical 359. And I am more than a homeowner when it comes to saws. I cut wood 3 or 4 months per year up here in Maine when I am not lobstering. Not serious cutting but mess around a lot when the weather allows. Question is how can 1 of my 359 saws scream and the other just kind of lag a bit. Both are 18 inch 3/8 chain. Both have the less restrictive mufflers from Wolf Creek saw shop. They both run perfect but one is a killer in the cut and the other you really cant' lean into all that much. One is a 2005 and the other a 2008. I don't mess with carbs too too much, but one has limiters and the other does not. The one that has the limiters is the slower saw. Is it that simple? Should I remove the limiters and mess with the high screw to get that one a screamer as well? I am not nuts about messing with and screwing up the saw. Pic will show the 2 carbs. Thanks for any insight.
Also try the chainsaw section of the equipment forums below.

Old post, you may already have your situation remedied. There can be a lot of things causing it, but If the saw otherwise runs as it should, here's a start

Looks like you have a ZAMA carb on the saw you're talking about. One can either just pull the plastic limiters all together, or slice the limiting tabs off. Either works just fine. Video is on a walbro, but same methods apply.

Second is to get it tuned. If it won't tune in, or still has the same problem, then the issue lies somewhere else. I'm sure there are other good tuning videos out there, but here's a short one to get you started. While it can be unnerving at first, once you do it, it'll become second nature.
Best of luck.

If the OP decides to check back in... it appears one of the saws has the original plastic intake clamp which should be upgraded.
As far as performance goes, the Walbro carbs can have issues of varying degrees... but I'd start by getting a tach & tuning them comparably

Back