Husqvarna 36 Bar Oil Leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskan Stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings:

I recently purchased a Husky 36 at a garage sale for $40.

Got it home…topped off the gas & oil tank…and it started right up…wahoo!

However (brace yourself…here it goes)

After running it for a few minutes to warm up, I shut it down and placed it on the garage floor and went about my business.

Next day, when I came back to the saw…there it was…with a big ole puddle of bar oil underneath it. I repeated the process again (start, warm up, shut down) and was hoping it might seal off…nope, another large puddle after sitting of overnight.

Unfortunately, it appears that there is not way to adjust the bar oil flow with this particular model of saw…so that fix is out.

After some online research before diving in, I removed the Bar and Backplate; and it appears that the Oil seems to be exiting out all around that “Rubber Oil Seal Grommet Piece”.

So next, I popped out the Oil Seal Piece and cleaned everything up (the seal…the oil channels etc), and put everything back together.

Then…started it back up…warmed it up…shut it down….came back later….Same problem—Still leaks! Grrrr

Caveat: OK, One thing that I need to mention, is that the previous owner had removed the Original Husqvarna Bar and replaced it with an aftermarket Bar (Oregon). I compared them and they look pretty close to identical.

But, maybe there is something goofy with an aftermarket bar? Who knows?

I noticed that the Oil Sealing system (for lack of better words) is based on a pretty flimsy design.

It seems to rely on a compression fit derived from the Bar Plate that secured by the outer shell and Bar Nuts. Not my idea of a good way to seal up an oil system…

Anyway…

Question: Has anyone had similar problem with this model of saw and more importantly do you have any suggestions for a fix?

My next plan is to order a new Rubber Oil Seal and Backplate and hope that works?

Thoughts?

I rebuilt 9 of these little series of saws just last summer. YES.... every one has leaked bar oil even with all new OEM Husky parts and Husky bars and even aftermarket bars. Cheap simple no frills design for a throw away homeowner saw.

I only fixed them up cuz parts are cheap and plentiful to give out as gifts and loaner saws. Keeps my bigger pro saws safe in my hands only.

I started to see this problem real quick and my solution was to add silicone behind that inner metal bar plate to seal things up. Just watch out you don't cover the actual oil path to the bar. Now I see a drop or three after sitting.

One other problem may be the bar studs seal leaking or a crack in the tank around the studs from over tightening the bar nuts.

Chevyboy0167:

Thanks for the tips! Based on Husqvarna’s poor design (as well as your experience with this model), it sounds like it is a known issue with these little oil producers!

I will disassemble it once again and check for cracks as you mention (I didn’t look too close at the plastic the first time due to the fact that I was focused too much on the Rubber Oil Seal itself).

I am thinking your idea of Silicone around the pathway-channel might be a necessary fix. I was considering purchasing a new Oil Seal & Plate…but maybe not. I will give it another inspection and reconsider.

Geez, I have to say…throughout the many years of wood cutting…many of my friends are die-hard Husqvarna Fans and swore about them over Stihls…and I never argued the point (I just continued to use my Stihls).

However…

Now that I finally own a Husqvarna and have had the chance to see how crappy they designed their Bar Oil System…I am rather glad that I stuck with Stihl!!! Haha!

Ya, I do realize that this model (Model 36) is probably not one of their shining stars in the Husqvarna’s Lineup!

Anyway…for $40 bucks…I think did ok?

PS: I really like your idea about having a couple reject saws to use as “Loaners”!!!!!

Crap…after re-inspection of the Oil Seal and ensuring the Bar Plate was straight. I also checked for any cracks or breaks (all was good)…I put everything back together and started it up for a test spin.

After letting it run for a few minutes to warm up, I shut her down and let it sit for an hour or so.

And it leaked like a seive!!

So, I guess I could purchase the parts and replace them and see what happens or try the Silicone trick.

Wish me luck!

Crap…after re-inspection of the Oil Seal and ensuring the Bar Plate was straight. I also checked for any cracks or breaks (all was good)…I put everything back together and started it up for a test spin.

After letting it run for a few minutes to warm up, I shut her down and let it sit for an hour or so.

And it leaked like a seive!!

So, I guess I could purchase the parts and replace them and see what happens or try the Silicone trick.

Wish me luck!

The oil pump is pumping when the saw is running at idle . Letting the saw run for a few minutes then letting it sit for a hour or so could be enough time for the oil to flow back from the bar and chain area .
Do you know if the oil tank vent is not leaking ?

Scottr: Ya know, I was wondering about that as well. I had a Stihl that I fixed by replacing the vent-valve (it had failed open and allowed Oil to leak pour out as well).

Problem is, I looked in the schematics for the Oil vent valve for the Husky and it is non exsistant. I did notice there was one for the Fuel Tank however.

I was guessing that maybe it vented through the Oil cap itself? I will pull the cap out today and see if I it has a vent on it that can be cleaned?

Aha! I think I know which one you are talking about now (I noticed that when dismantled). I actually used a Q-Tip to wipe out the crud in top…but instead I will next try compressed air and try to blow it through or something. Doesn’t look like it is a replaceable part…not sure.

I went ahead and order a new rubber oil seal and bar plate. Figure I will replace them and inspect that filter piece at the same time and see what happens….

Let it sit with the bar off, clean everything, and then look close to see where it is leaking from.

Is it leaking where the pump suction line comes out of the tank? A new oil line may fix it.

If you seal that spot with silicone it will need to be very thoroughly cleaned of oil first or you will be no better off.

It's fixable.

Greetings:

I recently purchased a Husky 36 at a garage sale for $40.

Got it home…topped off the gas & oil tank…and it started right up…wahoo!

However (brace yourself…here it goes)

After running it for a few minutes to warm up, I shut it down and placed it on the garage floor and went about my business.

Next day, when I came back to the saw…there it was…with a big ole puddle of bar oil underneath it. I repeated the process again (start, warm up, shut down) and was hoping it might seal off…nope, another large puddle after sitting of overnight.

Unfortunately, it appears that there is not way to adjust the bar oil flow with this particular model of saw…so that fix is out.

After some online research before diving in, I removed the Bar and Backplate; and it appears that the Oil seems to be exiting out all around that “Rubber Oil Seal Grommet Piece”.

So next, I popped out the Oil Seal Piece and cleaned everything up (the seal…the oil channels etc), and put everything back together.

Then…started it back up…warmed it up…shut it down….came back later….Same problem—Still leaks! Grrrr

Caveat: OK, One thing that I need to mention, is that the previous owner had removed the Original Husqvarna Bar and replaced it with an aftermarket Bar (Oregon). I compared them and they look pretty close to identical.

But, maybe there is something goofy with an aftermarket bar? Who knows?

I noticed that the Oil Sealing system (for lack of better words) is based on a pretty flimsy design.

It seems to rely on a compression fit derived from the Bar Plate that secured by the outer shell and Bar Nuts. Not my idea of a good way to seal up an oil system…

Anyway…

Question: Has anyone had similar problem with this model of saw and more importantly do you have any suggestions for a fix?

My next plan is to order a new Rubber Oil Seal and Backplate and hope that works?

Thoughts?
My son's 45 leaks while running, no delivery path?

Latest posts

Back