Husqvarna 365 upgrade to 372XP CYLINDER GASKET

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does your 365 only have 90 psi? Is the cylinder scored up or are the rings worn out?
Thanks for asking, this is a 365 xtorq 2016 with 24" bar, I bought the saw a month ago, its overall in reasonable condition, but I am cutting very large logs, and noticed that it was lacking in power, also had to sort out oiler, but still not enough power, I own quite a few saws, but got this to cut winters wood. I used to own a 262xp and ms291 and this is definitely nowhere near. Apologies for the waffle, the compression test confirmed my doubts, no I haven't taken the top off, but don't really want to go the route of replacement rings, as the amount of logs to cut is part of an artic load, so it must work.

Come on boys- we all know that Youtube is the 21'st Century version of that book written about some stuff that happened a couple of thousand years back and starts with "In the beginning".
I hear all the stuff on there is Gospel like.

Money and politics. Very few people research those who wrote those stories, or glean an understanding of the politics of the time and their biases/agendas.

Nothing has changed in the last couple thousand years, nor the tens of thousands of years prior.

Thanks for asking, this is a 365 xtorq 2016 with 24" bar, I bought the saw a month ago, its overall in reasonable condition, but I am cutting very large logs, and noticed that it was lacking in power, also had to sort out oiler, but still not enough power, I own quite a few saws, but got this to cut winters wood. I used to own a 262xp and ms291 and this is definitely nowhere near. Apologies for the waffle, the compression test confirmed my doubts, no I haven't taken the top off, but don't really want to go the route of replacement rings, as the amount of logs to cut is part of an artic load, so it must work.

Sounds a bit like you got sold a lemon, or a saw with an air leak.
If you are down to 90psi and at this stage determined to bolt on unknown gains- you have to pull the saw apart anyhow. Do a leak down test to find any leaking problems- so the new top end does not fry out in a week.
Remove the cylinder and start taking photos so the damage can be assessed- could be a new caber ring and a cylinder clean up get the saw back to good again- maybe a Meteor piston kit that comes with Caber rings- around 30 quid over there.

Sounds a bit like you got sold a lemon, or a saw with an air leak.
If you are down to 90psi and at this stage determined to bolt on unknown gains- you have to pull the saw apart anyhow. Do a leak down test to find any leaking problems- so the new top end does not fry out in a week.
Remove the cylinder and start taking photos so the damage can be assessed- could be a new caber ring and a cylinder clean up get the saw back to good again- maybe a Meteor piston kit that comes with Caber rings- around 30 quid over there.
Thanks for your message, I have already ordered the Hyway piston cylinder kit , new oil pump, muffler, etc which some of my friends have used with great success, I will do a leak test as a matter of course, will check what the reason for low compression is, thanks once again for your message.

I just got my 365 Special bumped to 76.5cc's via a big bore kit. I did not use the base gasket. I also added a dual port muffler at the same time. I had a couple lower end gaskets leaking. All fixed now and it's a great runner.

I just got my 365 Special bumped to 76.5cc's via a big bore kit. I did not use the base gasket. I also added a dual port muffler at the same time. I had a couple lower end gaskets leaking. All fixed now and it's a great runner.
Thanks for message, I note your issue with a "leak" I have ordered a Mityvac 8500 to do proper vac test, was going to go for the chinese type ones but decided to take the plunge and ordered, I am also going to do the same with my Husky 365 to 76.5, please can you tell me what was the squish, thanks regards David

Thanks for message, I note your issue with a "leak" I have ordered a Mityvac 8500 to do proper vac test, was going to go for the chinese type ones but decided to take the plunge and ordered, I am also going to do the same with my Husky 365 to 76.5, please can you tell me what was the squish, thanks regards David
I didn’t use a gasket, so no squish.

No squish?
So you get it started and tear the cylinder bolts out of the case threads and grenade the piston? But it runs good. :laugh:
If you've never done it, stop casting shade. Mine has no base gasket and runs awesome. No clearance issues at all. Does squish not refer to the compressing of the base gasket itself?

If you've never done it, stop casting shade. Mine has no base gasket and runs awesome. No clearance issues at all. Does squish not refer to the compressing of the base gasket itself?

Oh I have done it, probably dropped more base gaskets out of saws than you have used- but I don't do so without measuring squish.
Not "casting shade" just questioning the impossible. ;)

There is nothing wrong with using the aftermarket cylinder kit i have used many !You can delete the base gasket just check the squish.You can check the timing also. check the bottom end bearings and crank seals so you do not have any problems .Doing what your doing is a good way to learn and get an older saw running .

There is nothing wrong with using the aftermarket cylinder kit i have used many !You can delete the base gasket just check the squish.You can check the timing also. check the bottom end bearings and crank seals so you do not have any problems .Doing what your doing is a good way to learn and get an older saw running .
Thanks for the message, yes I am going to go ahead with the conversion, with all the new bits its going to be great, I also have bought a Mityvac 8500 to do the tests, the Husky is otherwise in great condition, thanks once again for the message, I will post pics as I go, regards David

Back