Husqvarna 435 Hard To Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All...

I recommended a Husqvarna 435 to a friend of mine that did not want to spend more than $300 to do cutting at his house. He is a young 70 years old in great shape and is needing an easy starting chainsaw. He has had this saw for 2 months now and the dealer he got it from is not providing the support that I would expect. It does start but you do have to pull the cord fairly hard. I don't want him to get another saw without some feedback for an easy starting saw that is dependable and around the same cost.

Hi All...

I recommended a Husqvarna 435 to a friend of mine that did not want to spend more than $300 to do cutting at his house. He is a young 70 years old in great shape and is needing an easy starting chainsaw. He has had this saw for 2 months now and the dealer he got it from is not providing the support that I would expect. It does start but you do have to pull the cord fairly hard. I don't want him to get another saw without some feedback for an easy starting saw that is dependable and around the same cost.

Hi Even,
I would recommend doing a few minor initial checks on this saw for your friend. First, I am not sure how old the saw is, even though he may have just purchased it. Husqvarna had a real problem spell for a while, back around 2013 if I remember right. Saws came from the factory set very lean, and people that bought their saws from box stores, ended up returning them in droves. As a matter of fact, Amazon.com stopped allowing the sale of Husqvarna 435 and 440 chainsaws and their website for a short period of time. IF the dealer is totally uncaring, and not concerned about helping your friend get his saw working right, there are two things you need to do. First, don't ever patronize that dealer ever again. Second, purchase a Poulan/Husqvarna carburetor adjustment tool - 530035560. You are lucky, as while these were scarce and expensive in the past, but you can now buy them for less than $4.00. This is a splined tool that fits over the EPA protected jet screws. More likely than not, your problem will be located in the low speed jet. That is the jet closest to the choke. The away screw, closest to the end of the handle is the high speed jet. Use some white out and put a vertical mark on the handle of your carburetor tool. This will help you count the revolutions. Put the tool onto the low speed jet, and gently turn the screw clockwise, counting the exact rotations necessary to reach the seat. Pay attention in the count to even partial turns, as in 1/4, 5/8 etc. Do not over tighten the jet to the seat or you can damage it. Gentle is the word here. Now, turn the low speed jet counter clockwise 2 1/2 turns out exactly. This will be your starting point. Now do the same thing with your high speed jet, after you turn it clockwise to the seat, start to back the jet out 1 5/8 th turns counter clockwise. I like to add just a little to the throttle screw right away, because when you enrich your low speed jet, your idle rpm will drop. The key here is to get the saw started, and have enough tension on the throttle screw to keep the saw running after you pop off the choke. After you warm the saw up for several minutes, start cracking the throttle. If the saw hesitates, open the low speed jet another 1/4th turn. Now crank the saw up to high rpm for a few seconds. You probably will hear a slight burbling which most of us call four cycling. That is a good thing. Now go to a log and sink the bar into something substantial. You probably will hear the sound of the saw clear up while under load. If the saw seems to be pulsing in the cut while under load, your high speed jet is just a little too rich. You can lean it slightly, but I would not go to less than 1 3/8 turns out under any conditions. I also want to stress, that if you want, you can start out pig rich on your high speed jet by starting around 2 1/2 turns out, but I can almost guarantee that as you start to lean, 1/8 turns at a time and then retest, you probably will get best performance somewhere between 1 3/4 and 1 1/2 turns out (on the high speed jet). Once the saw seems to be tuned pretty good, you might want to slightly lean the low speed jet, and check to see if you are still achieving snappy throttle response. This minor adjustment may necessitate tweaking the high speed jet, but it will be minimal.

The adjustments you have just made, will make the saw much easier to start, especially once it is hot in the summer, and give better protection against lean freeze when it is cold and the air is dry. Two more thoughts. Check the spark plug. I have seen some of these saws come through with Chinese Torch spark plugs. If so, put in a NGK brand BPMR7A spark plug and set the gap at .020." This second thought is germane to some old geezers who are cheaper than mud. You know the type. They want to use the same old mixed fuel in the can they had for the 2 cycle lawn boy from 2012. Make sure he is using fresh 2 cycle "premium" non-ethanol gas. Old gas makes saws hard to start and can really score a cylinder in a hurry. Four weeks on gas, and then run it in the lawn mower, snow blower, car, tractor - I don't care, just not in the chainsaw!

If this doesn't help, and you are still of mind to get another saw, I highly recommend an Echo CS-400. It is a little heavier than the H435, but not bad. The H435 usually weighs around 9.7 pounds despite what they advertise, and the Echo CS-400 comes in around 10.4 pounds (once again, a little heavier than advertised). That saw has the same displacement as the Husqvarna 435, but is so dead nuts reliable, you will never have to worry about troubles ever again, except first you have to remove the carb limiters and richen them up a bit. A muffler mod turns them into little monsters. If these minor adjustments are a little out of your league, find a different dealer that stands behind his saws, and learn to love what he sells. Just make sure what ever saw he sells, has a fully adjustable carburetor, (or one that can be defeated if it has limiters). Stay away from fixed jet saws, especially the lower end of Stihl. I like the pro Stihl line, just not the saws made in China.

There is a 435 "E" style, spring starter assist assembly that you can substitute for the original starter assembly. Makes a world of difference in ease of starting. Those 435's do require quite a bit of effort to pull over because of a fair amount of compression , but a very nice high revving ,light weight, limbing saw.

2lumbar..that was some great clear directions on how to tune a saw. Not may people describe it a clearly as you did there, plus the information in regards to the plug and gas is very good also. Probably the worse thing I do is NOT run the premium, but will do for now on (plus it's more affordable now).
After rereading the OP it leads to both answers being on target, but I think he was stating just the hard to pull, due to the compression. The 435 don't have a compression release.
What saw in that weight range would have a compression release or
Or do they just have the e starter that Mainewoods suggested. Figure a guy in his 70's doesn't need to give himself a heart attack trying to start his saw, hell in that cc range (40) he should just go out and get one of those craftsmans or poulon ez-pull saws (I know, I went there)

I believe the pin is# 544287002 for the spring assist starter assembly. Bolts right on - runs about $20. It does make quite a difference in ease of starting.

2lumbar..that was some great clear directions on how to tune a saw. Not may people describe it a clearly as you did there, plus the information in regards to the plug and gas is very good also. Probably the worse thing I do is NOT run the premium, but will do for now on (plus it's more affordable now).
After rereading the OP it leads to both answers being on target, but I think he was stating just the hard to pull, due to the compression. The 435 don't have a compression release.
Or do they just have the e starter that Mainewoods suggested. Figure a guy in his 70's doesn't need to give himself a heart attack trying to start his saw, hell in that cc range (40) he should just go out and get one of those craftsmans or poulon ez-pull saws (I know, I went there)

Oops. When you inferred that he had trouble starting it, I didn't immediately grasp that the problem was trouble pulling on the starter rope. Sorry about that. I have to admit that there have been others on this forum that have complained about the little Husqvarna chainsaws pulling hard. This is sometimes a problem with the female users, or people with rotator cuff problems. I have run compression tests on many of the 435 models, and never found compression to be unusually high. I usually get a reading in the 135 psi range. I have never used the spring assist starter assembly recommended by other contributors, but it sounds like a good idea. I don't think I would personally go the route that you mentioned regarding the Poulan models. The 40-42 cc models are typically in the 11.6 pound range at the powerhead alone. I am not saying they don't serve a niche in the market, but I have never appreciated the lack of power. There is a reason they used to come through with skip chain. That reduced resistance, and allowed the powerhead to come up into its proper rpm range. There again, I am surprised, because many Poulan P4018WT and PP4218A models demonstrated around 150-153 psi compression when new. The little 435 is so light, that when you drop start it, sometimes it comes back to you like a yo-yo, if you didn't snap it hard enough. I know I have taken some skin off my knuckles. I have adopted safer starting procedures since. Some models that might help, probably wouldn't find adequate dealer support in your area. One that I know of is the Solo chainsaw, but if you have trouble, you end up shipping your saw out of state. I have a little Solo 643IP that is an absolute dream to start, and has plenty of snot for such a light saw. But if it were to break down, which it doesn't, then I would have a headache. I always thought the Redmax GZ4000 was easy to start, but my shoulders aren't completely shot yet. If you know of anyone in your area that would let your friend try an Echo CS-400, that might be an option.

Anyone ever try to mod a compression release into a saw? Seams like it make be possible, but I'm not to familiar with modding like that

I would think by the time you take the jug off the saw, drill the correct size hole in the cylinder, thread it, buy a compression release, install it, and put the jug back on, it would be cheaper just to buy the $20 spring assisted starter. You would have a spare starter after the swap.

Anyone ever try to mod a compression release into a saw? Seams like it make be possible, but I'm not to familiar with modding like that
Forget a customized compression release. It is not cost effective. If your friend can't pull a Husqvarna 435, and you don't wish to follow the other route regarding a different recoil starter (544287002 - advice offered by mainewoods), it is time to sell that saw, and get a replacement that is within the ability of your friend's ability to pull start. Just a thought here, but if you can find one, Solox used to make the 636 which is a 37.2 cc engine with a compression release. The smallest Husqvarna with a compression release is the 445. That saw almost as heavy as the Husqvarna 450 which also has the compression release. A Husqvarna 450 weighs about 11.22 pounds at the powerhead. Don't let that weight fool you. I have seen 445 saws that weighed about the same or more. If you are patient, you can usually find a good one on flea bay for about $250.00. That saw will weigh .4 pounds less than a Poulan Pro PP4218A or a p4018wt, but have much more power. If you lived next door, I would take your friends saw, and give you a 450 with a small price adjustment, but with shipping it would not make the deal non-effective for you. With shipping of $30 or more each way, it doesn't make sense. I know this sounds like a broken record, but Echo has the i-30 starting system on the CS-400. But who knows if your friend can pull that? He needs a hands on demonstration. Like I said before, if he can handle the extra weight of the Husqvarna 450, basically 1.52 pounds more, he will have an easier pull, and tons more power. I am guessing he can sell his little Husqvarna 435 for about 215 and buy the replacement H450 for somewhere between 250 and 275 if he shops smart on E-Bay. A 16" bar should be enough and keep the weight down, but it can easily pull an 18" bar. I suggest the Woodland Pro 16" NK .325 bar and chain from Woodland Pro. Good luck!

Hi 2lumbar, I'm not the OP but I'm sure he's reading this which is just the same, your advise is right on the mark and offer a wealth of information.

thanks for clarifying the question for me. I am closing in on 70 also, and used to be a fireman, so most of my parts have been replaced - ha. I do feel for this guy's problem. I love to let the wolf loose, but understand my limitations. If I couldn't use a chainsaw, I wouldn't want to go on. As an old friend once said to me, keep the wind in your face, and the wood chips out of your boots.

Well you explained everything perfect with great thorough instructions. Your body parts may have been failing you but it appears your brain is still all there.
I just wonder if anyone with some great machining talent ever tried or can succeed in doing a tap into the head and install a release. Be cool to try on a cheap saw you didn't care about, I would think you'd just need a good spot with enough material to drill and tap

Well you explained everything perfect with great thorough instructions. Your body parts may have been failing you but it appears your brain is still all there.
I just wonder if anyone with some great machining talent ever tried or can succeed in doing a tap into the head and install a release. Be cool to try on a cheap saw you didn't care about, I would think you'd just need a good spot with enough material to drill and tap

Good luck and keep us informed! We all learn from each other. Just remember that a decompression valve will cost you at least $10.00 plus your time, and time is money. You could botch the job and loose huge.

Just bought my old man a 211 with easy start. He rarely cuts but is getting up in years and wanted something easy on shoulders.

He loves it.

Just bought my old man a 211 with easy start. He rarely cuts but is getting up in years and wanted something easy on shoulders.

He loves it.
I would guess that under that situation, longevity of the saw is not a problem, and as long as the saw serves its purpose, that is all that is needed.

Hello, I'm new to this site, so please bare with me. Where I work, we have two of the Husqvarna 435. Seem to be decent saws, until they have been running for twenty minutes or so. After that, they are very difficult to re-start, while they are still warm. After one of them developed a leak in the gas tank, I took them in for that repair and tune-ups. We got them back and both performed great...until they were shut down and had to be restarted. I will probably end up taking them back to where they were serviced and let them know. Also, I did notice that one of them did the pulsing, as 2lumberleft had talked about.
We also have an Echo chainsaw, I am not sure of the model, but that thing is a running son of a gun. I don't know much about Echo's but this one appears to be pretty good.
We are also in the market for another chainsaw, something with a longer bar, say 24". Where I work, has quite a few older trees, that are known to rotting on the inside. When I say larger trees, I'm saying at least 30" at the base. Most are maple, some old oak, along with pine and sycamore.
I was looking at putting in a request for purchase to get a Husqvarna 465, only because it was top rated by a website called Best of Machinery. My only fear, is it going to give us the same problems that the 435's are giving us. If anyone has any input on that, I'd really appreciate it.

Hello, I'm new to this site, so please bare with me. Where I work, we have two of the Husqvarna 435. Seem to be decent saws, until they have been running for twenty minutes or so. After that, they are very difficult to re-start, while they are still warm. After one of them developed a leak in the gas tank, I took them in for that repair and tune-ups. We got them back and both performed great...until they were shut down and had to be restarted. I will probably end up taking them back to where they were serviced and let them know. Also, I did notice that one of them did the pulsing, as 2lumberleft had talked about.
We also have an Echo chainsaw, I am not sure of the model, but that thing is a running son of a gun. I don't know much about Echo's but this one appears to be pretty good.
We are also in the market for another chainsaw, something with a longer bar, say 24". Where I work, has quite a few older trees, that are known to rotting on the inside. When I say larger trees, I'm saying at least 30" at the base. Most are maple, some old oak, along with pine and sycamore.
I was looking at putting in a request for purchase to get a Husqvarna 465, only because it was top rated by a website called Best of Machinery. My only fear, is it going to give us the same problems that the 435's are giving us. If anyone has any input on that, I'd really appreciate it.

Hi Dan, Because you have obviously been using your two Husqvarna 435 chainsaw at work, I will assume that both have achieved a minimum break in period and the piston ring has seated on both saws. I have found that when these saws get really hot, especially in the summer time, if they were set too lean on the low speed jet, what ever fuel in the carb seems to have boiled off, and it takes a little effort to get them restarted. I found that by increasing the low speed (transition) jet that is closest to the engine, just a little usually helped a great deal. You will need a special carburetor tool that is available on E-bay for a few bucks. Look for the splined tool that can also be used on Poulan. As for the high speed jet, you have to be careful with that adjustment if you have never done it before. I suggest you review other articles on this site regarding carb tuning, but I would say if you turned the high speed jet clock wise about 1/8 turn, that will likely take care of the pulsing. Just make sure the saw still four cycles or burbles when outside the cut. Just remember if you adjust the high speed jet to lean, you will lose power and burn up your saw!
As for those larger trees, I am guessing they are growing in an area where the water table is pretty close to the surface. Since you have quite a few trees to cut down, don't scrimp on the engine size. I would suggest a minimum of 70 cc displacement or preferably larger. I have an older Stihl 046 Magnum that is around 76 cc that does a good job on trees that size, but I still have my 660 Magnum for the larger jobs, as it never stalls in the cut. If you decide to go with Husqvarna, I would say a Husqvarna 372XP would be my minimum recommendation and I am sure there are better choices available in today's market if you look around and do your research. Don't forget to review tuning advice on this website before adjusting your saw!

Thanks 2lumbarleft for instructions clear enough for even me to follow! I recently purchased a 435 e-series - starts fine cold, coughs at idle then dies, then very difficult to restart hot. Two other 435s are five and three years old - start and run fine - I must have dodged the bullet with those. Also other saws are fine on the same fuel, so I'll be ordering the tool and adjusting the low jet ... STAY TUNED for follow-up report!

I was reading this thread and so went out to start my 435. 10 pushes on the primer bulb, set choke, two pulls away it went. It is 30 degrees and the saw was sitting for a week. I am 73 and don't have trouble starting any saws.

I'd like to resurrect this thread because i was given a 435 in place of payment for a job I did for a guy. He owed me a deuce and said his little used saw was worth $300.
I can see why he gave it to me.
I got it running well. Did a carb rebuild. Followed starting directions and when cold, it pops right up.
This saw WILL NOT restart no matter what I do.
Husqvarna is of little to no help. The guy said he bought this saw around 5 or 6 years ago and indeed, it is little used.
Is there some secret as to why this saw doesn't want to re-start and more importantly, the fix?

Latest posts

Back