Husqvarna 440 Fuel Line Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binthewoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, I'm mostly familiar with Stihl, and totally new to both Husqvarna and saws with a primer bulb. But, I recently picked up a Husqvarna 440 in a sale/trade and am trying to figure out how the fuel lines work in it. The saw had fuel by 2 formed fuel lines so I pressure tested and saw that the fuel line with filter attached was leaking, I retested and the one next to it (fuel return line?) is also leaking.

While replacing the fuel line I saw that there is a nipple right above it that doesn't have anything attached to it. Is there something that's supposed to be attached there? And if so where does it go?

I was able to replace the 1 fuel line without disassembling anything, just loosened removed a few bolts so the handle was loose enough to squeeze in there. But as I need to replace at least the fuel return line will I need to disassemble further?

Thanks in advance as I try to figure out what I was hoping would be a simple repair on my first Husqvarna.

Where is the nipple located? On the bulb or the carb? If it’s on the carb it might be the breather for the metering side, some have a “nipple” on that plate that goes into the air filter box so it doesn’t pick up fine dust. My
Stihl MS250 doesn’t have one of these nipples, only a hole, so dust gets in behind the metering diaphragm and has to be cleaned every once in a while or it won’t idle and runs lean.

It’s just above where the fuel line goes into the tank.
You can barely see it when peeking in from behind tge handle.

36E3C5D9-BE2D-4D04-A39A-461615A91014.jpeg

That appears to be the tank vent....I had to reroute the lines on a Husky I fixed for a friend when he mistakenly attached the return line to the tank vent. It certainly looked like a fuel line should have been attached there! I just rebuilt a 435 and it was a quick task to take off the handle/gas tank on that model....I would suggest doing that on your 440 as it makes it so much easier to play with gas lines. It also gives the opportunity to give everything a good cleaning, LOL.

Thanks guys, I was hoping it was a tank vent but it looked so much like a line should be attached to it I was worried something was missing.

Latest posts

Back