Husqvarna 450 rancher 24 inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nori

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can upgrade my Husqvarna 450 rancher to a 24 inch bar and chain ? Can’t find anything that will fit . Don’t mind if I have to go 3/8 .

50cc isnt going to like a 24" bar...especially not a 3/8 one. 20" is about all that saw will like. I went to 25" on a 60cc saw and it runs it fine but its a bigger saw too.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Too much bar for that saw. Oregon makes a 24" small mount husky bar but it only comes in 3/8 which would be WAY too much bar for that saw.

If for some reason you really needed this, you count get the 24" bar, swap the nose to .325, then get a loop of .325 skip chain. But oiling that bar may be an issue.

Does anyone know how I can upgrade my Husqvarna 450 rancher to a 24 inch bar and chain ?
You buy a 24" bar and chain and mount it. I wouldn't call it an "upgrade" though.
Can’t find anything that will fit .
24" k095 mount is available. Not real common though.
Don’t mind if I have to go 3/8 .
As Steve mentioned it can be worked around, but you'll most likely have to. Either way, 24" on a homeowner grade 50cc saw is gonna be like:
tenor (5).gif
Plus create a lot of heat. In other words, not a great idea. You should find the correct tool for the work you want to do.

Listen to the advice given.
A 20" on a 450 is even a bit more bar than the saw can handle, in my opinion.
I'm still running one on mine but it's had a tune up and a muffler mod.
If you really need a 24" bar move up to a Husky 460 or Echo 590 or the equivalent pro saw.

I would grab a larger saw. Have cut with ported 562 and 24". Yes, oiler can handle it. Depending on wood type, 70cc is a good option.

Dont tell that to my 54cc Macs that run 24" bars in hardwood all day lol. There's more to it than just horsepower.
That said, you will kill a 450 quickly with a 24" bar.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Indeed, t is more than just HP. I didn't mention torque, RPMs, clutch, etc, in order to keep it simple.

A factor that might not be immediately obvious is the difference in unsprung mass betweern old saws and modern AV designs.
E.g. a Homelite XL12 weighs about 12 pounds, all of which is able to absorb the load vibration & shock from the cutting equipment because there's no AV isolation.
A Husky 450 weighs about 11 pounds, a third of which is isolated by antivibe springs/rubbers so let's say that leaves 8 pounds to take all the punishment.

Back