Husqvarna 450 Tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippydiesel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Husky 450 has a high RPM problem.

History;
The saw was not staying in tune - often requiring a "field" adjustment.
Still had original carburettor parts so decided on a replacement kit.
Fitted kit - saw now start much better BUT problem with high end RPM

I use a digital tacho to tune my saws - Low speed all good - High speed seems to be "missing" at full throttle and tacho stops reading properly.

If I progressively increasing throttle, it accelerates smoothly until the last 1/4 of movement. Tacho is reading about 12400 RPM at this point. Squeeze a little more saw starts to vibrate/miss & tacho drops out.

Going for cheapest fix, a put a new spark plug in - no change.

I suspect the coil - What does the Brains Trust think???

Limited???

The tacho "reads" my Stihl saws without any problems
Coils on some saws are rev limited to a certain rpm. Some aren’t. All tachs go haywire at or around the rpm that the coil is limited to. Your Stihls may not be limited, or you may have them tuned below the limiter

Coils on some saws are rev limited to a certain rpm. Some aren’t. All tachs go haywire at or around the rpm that the coil is limited to. Your Stihls may not be limited, or you may have them tuned below the limiter
This^^
Limited coils mess with tachs once above the limiter. Not sure if that’s what’s going on, but richening the H screw might bring it down so it will read
and this ^^

Back