Husqvarna 460 Rancher Bogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traconian

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old Husqvarna 460 Rancher that has been awesome, until recently. While out cutting firewood for the fifth time this year, it started bogging down. I was able to finish my work with my little ole Ryobi, thankfully, nobody was around to see me using the green saw when my orange saw was on the ground. I wondered about my fuel, but the Ryobi ran fine on it. So, after I got home, I began replacing parts from a Husqvarna kit. New fuel filter, air filter, spark plug, and primer bulb. I also switched to expensive engineered fuel. It ran fine after that, I even checked it several times. Went out to the forest the next day, and it bogged right away. The altitude difference between my home and the forest is only 1500', maxing out at 4500'. It was still bogging when I got home. Took it to a chainsaw store, but their turn-around time was weeks, not days. Watched some videos on how to take out the carburetor, so I took it out, cleaned it, put it back together, then it ran fine for an hour cutting logs at home. I checked it 2 hours later, and it was bogging. I'm perplexed. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My guess is the carburetor has debris in the pump circuit. I bought three and use them fine until I bought some 372 XP kits. I blew out my carb twice with the same results. New replacements I have seen for $20 to $30. Thanks

replace the fuel hoses and fuel filter, they get cracks you can't see and sucks air under load
I replaced the fuel hose that goes to the fuel filter, which I forgot to mention was also replaced. It didn't fix the issue, but a carburetor adjustment got it working pretty good. I went from 1 1/4 turns on the High adjustment, to 2 1/2 turns. It works, but something is still off. I have a new carb arriving today. Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll let you know the outcome soon.

I replaced the fuel hose that goes to the fuel filter, which I forgot to mention was also replaced. It didn't fix the issue, but a carburetor adjustment got it working pretty good. I went from 1 1/4 turns on the High adjustment, to 2 1/2 turns. It works, but something is still off. I have a new carb arriving today. Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll let you know the outcome soon.

At 2.5 turns out on the H you are compensating for a fault.
Start running a sweepstake and taking bets as to how many more tanks of gas you can run through before it stops for good.

I ran into that with a guy that was volunteering with me. Everytime he would go past me. I smelled thick oil in the air. I asked him how his saws running. He thought it was fine. I asked did you mix the gas up yourself. He said yes. I asked if it was bogging down in the cut . He said yes. I asked if I could sharpen it for him. I checked it and it was fine. It was a nice little saw. I asked how long he had it. Not long enough to mess something up. I mentioned does it have a spark arrestor and it was hidden but did. We ended up pulling it in the field and it ran like a bigger saw. The screen wasn't bad yet. But it just couldn't breathe.

At 2.5 turns out on the H you are compensating for a fault.
Start running a sweepstake and taking bets as to how many more tanks of gas you can run through before it stops for good.
Its a strato saw...what I have red here on this forum....is that strato designs needs more turns of a H screw then tradotional designs....

Intermittent bogging can be caused by a nozzle check valve that is sticking open and leaning out the low speed circuit but if that is the case, it should not idle normally, if at all when the valve is stuck. How's the idle and was the saw run with a gas containing alcohol? If that is a strato engine, it is normal for the H screw to be turned out by more than 2 turns, does the carb have 2 throats, one above the other?

Latest posts

Back