Husqvarna 460 rancher chain issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakleerulez

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 5 year old Husqvarna 460 rancher I bought brand new. It has never really impressed me and about after a year or two of use, the oiler had to be replaced under warranty. (it was not giving oil to the bar).
It is my first saw, so i could be doing something wrong, but I always seem to retighten my chain atleast once per tank of fuel, and every now and on a couple occasions it would throw the chain. I suspected maybe my bar was the problem, so i purchased a new bar and chain.
Chain: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFKPQQX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 3/8 .50 72
Bar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQUJSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 3/8 .50 72

I put the bar and chain on, and it was AMAZING. My saw had never cut this well, ever.

I rand about 3 tanks threw it, stopping 2x per tank to retighten the chain. Then this morning after about half a tank, the chain threw, breaking some of the teeth. The bar seems to have some rough spots, so that is trashed for the time being, and the chain has some teeth missing.

Am I doing something wrong? I am super frustrated at this point. Thanks

Thats not bad? it looks like it has some pretty gnarly grooves that arent supposed to be there.

Nothing crazy, but I tighten the chain just so it barely touches the bar, then tighten the nuts as much as i can. I make sure the chain is still the right tension and start cutting. After researching a bit on these forums i realize that i should probably pull up on the bar whilst tightening to maintain the correct tension.

Thats not bad? it looks like it has some pretty gnarly grooves that arent supposed to be there.

Nothing crazy, but I tighten the chain just so it barely touches the bar, then tighten the nuts as much as i can. I make sure the chain is still the right tension and start cutting. After researching a bit on these forums i realize that i should probably pull up on the bar whilst tightening to maintain the correct tension.
If still have your owners manual it should give proper chain tensioning instructions. I tighten mine so it is tight but can still be pulled around the bar by hand and when pulled up on in the center of the bar the drivers barely clear the bar. You are correct by lifting up on the bar while tightening. I have only thrown one chain in my 30+ years of cutting.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

If u loosin the chain before the saw cools down, after the last use for the day. Then re tighten before next use your chains will stretch less through out the chains life. So when u shut your saw down for the last time each day loosin ur chain.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've got one of these saws too. Last year I put a new clutch on it because the old one was worn pretty good. Now all of a sudden the chain catches somewhere and the saw completely shuts off. I even put a brand new OEM 20" bar and chain on. The engine runs fine but the chain won't even hand pull when it is loose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've got one of these saws too. Last year I put a new clutch on it because the old one was worn pretty good. Now all of a sudden the chain catches somewhere and the saw completely shuts off. I even put a brand new OEM 20" bar and chain on. The engine runs fine but the chain won't even hand pull when it is loose.

Try disengaging the chain brake.

Or you could have .325 chain/bar on 3/8 drive, or .058 chain on .050 bar.
could also have a damaged drive link from new chain coming off saw in the very run and will not rotate

Found my problem 8-0
5c16c1b47e8cddd1305562da8828ebad.jpg

Not sure what a rim drive is I'm afraid. This has been a good saw except for this issue.

Also looks like the bearing peaced out
3bad1320a8715d0d37010b6cfe3a1d05.jpg

Latest posts

Back