Husqvarna 50 Rancher stalls when tilted up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhaupt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a buzzard issue, I have a Husqvarna 50 Rancher ( old model ) which runs Ok when the bar is level, but if I tilt the bar up to cut a limb, the saw stalls. I've tried two carburetors ( original rebuilt and new one ), new gas line and filter, exhaust checks out, but the saw still stalls. Tank is full and new gas ( I use hi test / non alcohol ). It's like it's loosing gas, but I can't figure out why. Any suggestions?

Or, The mix is pooling inside the crankcase and when the saw is moved the mix is drawn into the cylinder flooding it out. Worn rings are a prime candidate however a overly rich mixture may be a cause. Ken

I'm going to use the suggestions ie: test the seals ect to see if I have a leak, or ring issue. Will follow up with the results. Thanks all for the suggestions

My update to my original stalling issue ( when I tilt the saw to a 45' angle, it rev's up and shuts down ). I have done this in steps, trying one or two things at a time, two carburetors ( original rebuilt and new one ), no change, checked for air and vacuum leak, started with pulling cylinder and replaced ring on piston, cylinder looked and felt great, new seals and reassembled, no change, I ordered tools to do a complete disassembly and new shaft seals, case seal, this went well, everything looked good, put the saw back together, started right up, runs great level, upside down, straight down, but as soon as I start to bring it to a 45', it revs up and stalls. Starts right back up, will idle for as long as there is gas ( I tried some sea foam just in case ) and still stalls when I tilt it. So my conclusion is so far, nothing I have touched or replaced has had any effect on fixing my issue. I do feel good about my assembly, it was my first complete chainsaw tear down, and it starts right up and runs fine. I just for the life of me can't figure out what is causing the staling ( as I tilt it up, the rpm's go up fast and then stalls out ). All the consumable parts are now new ( except the main case bearings which were good ). I'm missing something, any thoughts as to what I do next?
The attached video is at an idle ( using one hand on phone and one on chainsaw ). You can hear the slight rev up and then it shuts off. If I left it horizontal it would just keep running.

Attachments

• Chainsaw idle and tilt.mov
    3.7 MB
I've decided to try to replicate this problem with my Husky 50, anniversary edition. But, it will take me awhile. The compression on my engine is so high that I hurt my knee trying to start it today. Now I need a new recoil starter assembly and probably a stronger human operator to bring it to life.

These pull-starting parts were not well designed in my book. The engine is stronger than those parts are. This model was built several years before decompression valves were available. So be it.

Back