Husqvarna 50ish cc saw suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
455 Rancher is heavy and lower on power compared to the pro XP saws like 346 and 550. But it will still cut wood.
Believe it or not a 455 rancher will out cut a stock 346XP and is better on fuel.. Can't speak to the 550

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. Sounds like a 3 series of some flavor is closest to what I'm looking for. I'll keep my eyes open and see what I can come up with.

How is the 455 rancher? I only ask as I can get one cheap but it looks rough and I'm unsure what sort of issues it has.

You won't hear a lot of saw fanatics sing the praises of the ranchers because they aren't as light or fast or as easily hopped up - they are a clamshell design so you can't do a base gasket delete or bolt on a bigger cylinder so easily.
But they are a reliable saw at a good price and Husky has likely sold more of them than any of the other models.
Rancher is a blah saw. But they cut wood.

346xp all day long. either version is a pocket rocket and a simple muffler mod and gasket delete makes them scream. I had both versions. but sold off the OE to a friend when he would not stop badgering me for it. as far as the rancher goes they are solid dependable saws, and thats the long and short of it. heavier, harder to mod, and not being a pro level I guarantee you that the parts will dry up sooner than with the XP's.

If you’re looking for a project saw, not new off the shelf, the 346XP has a Cult like following, most Respect and Covet both versions, either would be a Great choice, and would put a Smile on your face

I think that the 353 is Husqvarna’s Best kept Secret, I Love mine, and I reach for it more than I expected I would, it convinced me of the value of the 50cc class saws

Doug

dolmar 5105, put a 5100 non cat muffler on it . can cut all you can stack in a pickup of dead locust on less than a tank of gas.
I have a makita DCS 520i. The acres site has very little information on it other than saying it was built by Dolmar. Do you happen tpo know which Dolmar model corresponds to my Makita?

Get ya a Poulan 3300 (54cc).
Or Craftsman 3.3.
Some of the best firewood saws.
Prolly run with any Hooskie (same cc's) with a couple of easy mods.
Pro level saws, OEM parts are cheap & plentiful.
Built like a tank.

You won't hear a lot of saw fanatics sing the praises of the ranchers because they aren't as light or fast or as easily hopped up - they are a clamshell design so you can't do a base gasket delete or bolt on a bigger cylinder so easily.
But they are a reliable saw at a good price and Husky has likely sold more of them than any of the other models.

In the first post he’s referring to the 55 rancher I believe. Which wouldn’t be a clam.
Reliable saw except for that stupid intake boot design and carb bolts that strip out easily. Not exactly a performance saw either.
351/353/346 is the way to go.

In the first post he’s referring to the 55 rancher I believe. Which wouldn’t be a clam.
Reliable saw except for that stupid intake boot design and carb bolts that strip out easily. Not exactly a performance saw either.
351/353/346 is the way to go.
ok gotcha
thought he was referring to the 455 rancher

Maybe I am remembering what I want to remember but the rancher 55 was my first and favorite saw. I loved it but abused it and ultimately needed up running it into the ground. Literally. I used it for stumping roots. BUrned up the clutch and instead of fixing it I tossed it as i thought I wanted to go to the 460. 460 is a great saw too but a bit heavier and clunkier than the 55.

I also recently bought a ms261, which to me does not few like it has the balls the 55 did

Not too long ago amazon had a sale on Husqvarna 460 for $499.I had prime that’s free shipping. I signed up for amazon visa credit card and got a $100 amazon gift card. I got it for $399. Free ship I love sales. I gave it to my son he was running a wild thang.

My first new husky saw was a 51, I managed to crush it and picked up a new 455 cheap. I then found a used 55 that became my go to saw. Since then, I have repaired the 51 and added a 50 and a 550xp, a 359 and a 555. I sold the 455, it seemed heavy and just never felt as strong as the 55.
It's hard to beat a 51 or a 55, good reliable saws.
If I am doing just a few cuts my 55 is the saw I grab.
If Iam cutting all day I take the 550 and the 555.
And my Stihl 029 super seldom gets off the shelf.

Back