Husqvarna 51 really troubling no start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcguy2u

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had lots of symptoms that seemed to be different from one time to the next. Short story; 90 psi compression, new carb, new magneto coil, new plug, new gas filter/hose, fresh gas/oil and it won't even pop. Before new fuel, sprayed some starting fluid into the carb with the butterfly open and not even the slightest pop.

During testing from one time to the next, sometimes the plug was wet and other times it was dry, as it is now; fuel line shows fuel. No priming bulb on this carb.

Pulled the flywheel to inspect the key and it wasn't really well defined, but it didn't look damaged. Could this be timing?

The original coil produced spark that was more obvious when turning the engine over with a drill. New coil shows better spark at lower RPM.

Any ideas?

TIA, Nick

Had lots of symptoms that seemed to be different from one time to the next. Short story; 90 psi compression, new carb, new magneto coil, new plug, new gas filter/hose, fresh gas/oil and it won't even pop. Before new fuel, sprayed some starting fluid into the carb with the butterfly open and not even the slightest pop.

During testing from one time to the next, sometimes the plug was wet and other times it was dry, as it is now; fuel line shows fuel. No priming bulb on this carb.

Pulled the flywheel to inspect the key and it wasn't really well defined, but it didn't look damaged. Could this be timing?

The original coil produced spark that was more obvious when turning the engine over with a drill. New coil shows better spark at lower RPM.

Any ideas?

TIA, Nick
Well 90 PSI if accurate is not acceptable. Re test, cross check that gauge on another good saw and make sure you keep pulling the saws over till the gauge stops rising. also pull the muffler and look and see if the piston is scored.
When you put new parts on were they Chinese knock offs or OEM?

Well 90 PSI if accurate is not acceptable. Re test, cross check that gauge on another good saw and make sure you keep pulling the saws over till the gauge stops rising. also pull the muffler and look and see if the piston is scored.
When you put new parts on were they Chinese knock offs or OEM?
90 psi is a no go!

Bought the carb from eBay from a guy that I had previously purchased the same carb from and that one is still working fine. The fact that it won't pop with starting fluid seems to eliminate the carb.

Pulled the cord until the compression stopped rising.

The piston looked find from the carb side. Will check the exhaust side.

Thx...

Have pulled on a lot of chainsaws and it feels right; I also believe the compression gauge is accurate... But, it is what it is. The saw belongs to my neighbor; just doing him a favor. He's going to list it on Craigslist. Shipping is a problem with a parts saw...

Thanks again,
Nick

Have pulled on a lot of chainsaws and it feels right; I also believe the compression gauge is accurate... But, it is what it is. The saw belongs to my neighbor; just doing him a favor. He's going to list it on Craigslist. Shipping is a problem with a parts saw...

Thanks again,
Nick
Shipping prob 12.00 - 15.00 with https://www.pirateship.com/rates

Thanks again,
Nick
Scored piston/cylinder can make enough drag to make you thing compression is ok.I have been fooled by a few saws.

One other thing on the compression. My 55 Rancher has a compression release which temporarily makes it much less compression. But in contrast to the 90psi being a non starter, it always starts??? Hmmmm...

Back