Husqvarna 51 really troubling no start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The exhaust side is heavily scored. Looks like this one is dead... Should have checked it sooner.

Thx again, Nick
I got a burned out P&C Husky 51 Rancher for free in a trade. I put a 55 Nikasil coated P&C kit from Ebay on it for around $30 incl. shipping. The kit had the Nikasil P&C, ring, intake boot, wrist pin, bearing, gasket and cheap Chinese spark plug (which works fine by the way). The kit I got appeared to be pretty good quality, indicated by the port smoothness and overall finish of the parts. I have only ran about 2 tanks though it, but it works great, with a very noticeable power increase. I also lightly muffler modded it and tuned the carb. It runs just as strong as my much newer 455 Rancher.

90 psi is a no go!
Got a saw runs great in every way. Tested compression it was showing 45psi mmmm same gauge on another saw showed 150psi? So compared with a new mityvac gauge and was shown to be so way off it was laughable. So many cheap gauge kits on the market now and we all want a bargain, but at what cost!!
Time to put it on ebay or in the bin.
Remember the old saying "you get what you pay for" I have spent so.much time with this gauge and always been suspect, now we know 🤯

Had lots of symptoms that seemed to be different from one time to the next. Short story; 90 psi compression, new carb, new magneto coil, new plug, new gas filter/hose, fresh gas/oil and it won't even pop. Before new fuel, sprayed some starting fluid into the carb with the butterfly open and not even the slightest pop.

During testing from one time to the next, sometimes the plug was wet and other times it was dry, as it is now; fuel line shows fuel. No priming bulb on this carb.

Pulled the flywheel to inspect the key and it wasn't really well defined, but it didn't look damaged. Could this be timing?

The original coil produced spark that was more obvious when turning the engine over with a drill. New coil shows better spark at lower RPM.

Any ideas?

TIA, Nick
90-PSI says stuck piston ring, need 120 min; cylinder maybe scored, but maybe able to get 120+ if sanded/ honed lightly and restore for $20

Back